HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - looking for new upland dog
View Single Post
Old 09-30-2005, 01:56 AM
Mite
Typical Buck

Default RE: looking for new upland dog

For upland hunting, you will generally want a dog that's able to run. Whether its aflusher or pointer type, any kind of running dog will require daily exercise or they will develop bad habits as AlaskaMagnum said.

Another thing to consider, if you want to encourage your young dog to point then I definitely would not go with a flushing breed unless you have the patience to teach the dog to honor pointbut then you defeat the purpose ofgetting a flusher.If you do get a flusher,the dog will flush birds that the pointer is pointing. Soon, your pointer will want to get the bird first and start flushing it himself. That is the problem I'm having to deal with a young setter pup. First encounter with birds and I brought a flusher along. I have to now break her of pouncing. But she's young and will be fine.

I would like to stress the need for exercise. I have hunted over dogs that did not get daily exercise. I have yet to see one dog able to run more than half a day if even that. I run my pup aleast one hour a day. At only six months, last Monday, she ran for five hours, Weds - six hours. And she's still wants to run. You definitely can tell who exercise their dogs as by noon, only a few of us were still hunting.

My suggestion would be to get another pointing lab since you already know the breed or spend the time you do have to reinforce the training of your current dog and forego getting another.