Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Sporting Dogs
 Question on German Shorthair Pointers >

Question on German Shorthair Pointers

Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Question on German Shorthair Pointers

Old 09-04-2005, 06:17 AM

Default Question on German Shorthair Pointers

Hi All....

I am looking at getting a German Shorthair Pointer, I am wondering if Male or Female generally make better hunters? I love the look and personality of GSP's and would like to hear other input onm these pups.

Thanks!

Mike S
Old 09-04-2005, 12:41 PM

Default RE: Question on German Shorthair Pointers

I have never owned a female GSP, and all of my male have been good. On a side note, I had a female wirehair that was twice the dog that any of my GSPs were. I would just try to pick out a pup you like from a good breeder and I think that you will be happy. You can teach them to retrieve, the birdiness just comes from good genetics (male or female).
Old 09-04-2005, 03:58 PM

GSP's are great dog's. Male/female makes no difference. On average male's work harder and females are easier to train, but that is just a generalization. Female's that are in heat should not be hunted around male dog's for obvious reasons. Pick one from good lines, look into NAVHDA or German pedigree lines. GL
Old 09-07-2005, 09:59 PM

I have a female GSP thats a little more then a year old. That dog is all business, she hunts 24/7 wherever she can. I mean 24/7, we take her to camp on Fridays - Sunday almost every week. She points birds all day long, chases ducks in the water then chases fire flys and bats all night. I had origanly wanted a male but also wanted the white/brown brindle look. I got half of what I wanted, my wife and kids feel in love with Maggie and I have not looked back. I can take her anywhere and she is usally good as gold. Everywhere we go she is a hit, very well rounded and liked by all, well most anyway. Its funny to watch her with the other dogs at camp, she prefers to do her own thing most of the time but when she feels like playing she literly runs circles around the other dogs just to taunt them. I can not wait to watch her cover ground this fall and hope shewill enjoy swiming late duck seasonLOL.

Just my 2 cents.

Old 09-08-2005, 04:16 PM

Nice pup
Old 09-24-2005, 01:55 PM

Swanscott,
Ive had GSP's for 34 years. You have asked one of the age old question in which makes a better hunting dog whichthere is no answer...there are plenty of opinions...thats all. I am..(my opinoin) partial to males but have had a few good bitches too.The most important thing you can do right now!...is toget involved or in contact with a local Navhda chapter & find out who in your area breeds Navhda trained dogs!AKC Master hunters are also very good dogs but stay away from those who breed dogs just to get a JH (junior hunter) so they can sell "hunting dogs".

Then comes the hardest part...picking one. I know Navhda senior judges who breed & will spend 2-4 hours each day watching a particular litter just to find out (guess in most cases) which is or are going to be the best hunter out of the litter. Bottom line is when you purchase a well bred pointing dog (hopefully from Navhda stock) the trainability that comes with theses dogs is unbeliveable compared to many of the dogs I've had 12-15 years ago.

Good Luck...any questions feel free to ask...oh yeah..go to Navhda.org

Ryan
Old 09-28-2005, 11:40 AM

Im only 18 and I ahve hunted with gsps my whole life because my dad raises them. I have only trained two myself but I love gsps.
Old 09-29-2005, 09:07 PM

i have never had a female gsp always had males the one i have now is agood hunter and a great buddy and family dog