Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Sporting Dogs
 Quick health question... >

Quick health question...

Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Quick health question...

Old 06-30-2005, 09:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Quick health question...

I have a 3 yr. old male Springer. He is in excellent health and he is also intact.

When we rerurned recently from our summer camp, I noticed he was "licking himself" more than I would have expected. I checked for fleas/ticks/bites etc and found nothing. (He takes Advantix)...

His area (down there) was very red and inflammed. I was obvious where it was bothering him. I have not had the chance to talk to his vet but was hoping someone here could give advice on what could have caused this or what can be done to stop it from getting worse.

Also, the weather here (NH) has been very hot/humid/sticky for the past week....and he spends most of his time diving and swimming in the lake.

Thanks in advance...I appreciate any help.......Jimmy
Old 07-01-2005, 06:56 PM

Default RE: Quick health question...

Jimmy sounds like a hot spot dogs get them in the summer but I am not sure if it is the heat or lack of activity, I have heard both as reasons. My dads dog would get them on his neck about this time of year, he dosent get them any more, probable to lasy to even bother licking him self.

You may need to get some cream from the vet, it may stop him from licking his twig and berries.
Old 07-06-2005, 01:41 PM

Oh, for crying out loud!!!!! Penis, Penis, Penis, Testicles, testicles, testicles, prepuce, prepuce, prepuce (or sheath). There, I said it, and my tongue didnt fall off. Why are people afraid of these words?? It drives me nuts when somebody wont just come out and say it. Sorry to be an ass, but I needed to get that off my chest.
Old 07-11-2005, 11:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Ok, my buddy is OK. It began to go away by itself after a few days. The speculation is that he must have laid down on a lot of red ants. He had no infections, just tiny marks that may have been caused by ants. In any event, all is well...just wanted to share the diagnosis...