Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

quick question

Old 01-15-2008, 12:23 PM

Default quick question

my buddy shot a fawn with his matthews drenaline on sunday night. I didn't actually see this but he said that he had hit it right behind the front shoulders. he said it was almost perfect from what he could tell. He told me that on the arrow tho there was not a lot of blood. he left the deer over night and then had to go to work. so he figured 18 hrs the deer should be dead. well he walked with in 10 yds of it and he said that the deer was still alive and he could see the hole in its side. He then said that he went around to slit its throat and it jumped up and ran off. his dad was there and saw this too. they have killeda lot of deer with a bow so they are not new to this. do you know what he could of hit or what might have happened as to what he didnt hit that the deer would still be alive 18 hrs later. please let me know your thoughts.
Old 01-15-2008, 12:26 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: quick question

Sounds like the guy that got shot in the head and lived....he might have missed the vitals somehow.
Giant Nontypical

Well geez if he was right there and close enough to consider slicing the throat, he should be able to tell you where the hole was.

Unless you don't believe him and at that point none of the information is any good!
Typical Buck

Might have only hit one lung...............possibly the shot was low and just hit brisket..............possibly the shot has higher than he thought and it missed the vitals completely..............
Nontypical Buck

It is hard to tell. So many things that could have happened on the pass through. Even what looks like a perfect shot doesn't always do the damage you expect. I have to ask, though, why did he shoot a fawn?
Old 01-15-2008, 12:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Why didn't he finish it off with his bow?
Old 01-15-2008, 12:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

on a fawn that is strange..being a smaller animal there is greater chance for hitting vital areas or veins/arteries...very weird...it must be a very poor shot for a fawn to be alive 18 hrs and get up to run away...something strange about this!!
Old 01-15-2008, 12:29 PM

Probably a dull broadhead. If it's not sharp enough to shave, it's dull, and should'nt be used to shoot deer with. I've heard many horror stories like this, and I think that 90% of the time, that is the answer. It is possible to shoot a deer right through the boiler and have it survive if the broadhead is not razor sharp.
Old 01-15-2008, 12:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

I'm thinking single lung also.
Old 01-15-2008, 12:36 PM

To far forward shoulder shot or too high above vitals but below the spine.

Quick Reply: quick question

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.