Specific Turkey Tips and Tactics How to's from cooking turkeys to conditioning calls, this forum holds it all.

Tasty Turkey

Old 04-22-2005, 08:31 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default Tasty Turkey

I'd like to share these recipes with all of you. The Spiedie originated in my area. We even have a huge Spiedi fest during the summer. If you don't want to try it with a wild Turkey try these recipes on Chicken,lamb,pork or Venison.

Spiedies (pronouced Speedies) are a very yummy grilled "sandwich" that
originated in or around Broome County, NY

Meats such as pork, chicken, beef, lamb or venison are cut into bite size pieces and marinated in spiedie sauce for 24 to 48 hours. Then the meat is skewered like shish kabobs and and grilled. The traditional way to serve them is to fold a piece of sandwich sized Italian bread and place meat in the center. Then you can spoon more fresh marinade over it and enjoy. Most restaurants in the area serve them as submarine sandwiches.

Chicken Spiedies

1 cup oil
3/4 cup lemon juice
2 tsp. salt
2 tsp thyme
2 tsp marjoram
1/4 tsp pepper
3 cloves chopped garlic
1 tsp. MSG--Accent
1 TBL - 1/4 cup parsley

Mix and Marinate.

Spiedie Sauce

1 c Cooking oil
1/4 c Wine vinegar
1 ts Lemon juice
1 Clove garlic
1 ts Oregano
2 Bay leaves
1/2 ts Dried parsley
1/2 ts Salt
1/4 ts Pepper
Hot pepper to taste..(optional)

Cut pork, lamb or just about any type of meat into 1 to 1 1/2" cubes. Marinate in the sauce, made from above mixture, for at least 24 hours. Place on skewers and barbecue over charcoal or gas grill until done. (Approx cooking time, 20 minutes) Serve on a slice of Italian Bread. The regional delicacy is is found throughout the Binghamton/Endicott, NY area. Spiedies are to that area as Buffalo Wings are to Buffalo.

Spiedie Sauce
Yield: 8 servings

4 lb Lamb; or pork
1/4 c Vinegar
2 tb Parsley
2 Garlic cloves, crushed
2 tb Oregano leaves
1 c Oil
2 Rosemary leaves
Pepper, hot; to taste
1 ts Salt
1/2 ts Pepper, black

Cut lamb or pork into 1" square pieces. Mix all ingredients
together and marinate meat overnight. The longer the better.
Put on skewers. Barbecue on charcoal or gas grill. Serve on
slices of Italian bread.

Spiedies
(Broome County, NY)

1 c Oil
3/4 c Wine Vinegar
1/8 c Sugar
1 Onion
4 Clove Garlic
1/2 t Salt
1/2 t Pepper
1 1/2 t Thyme
1 1/2 t Marjoram
1 1/2 t Basil
1 1/2 t Oregano

Mix all ingredients in a large covered bowl. Place cubed meat to marinate for at least 5 days, shaking or turning over each day. Place on skewers to cook on grill. Serve on Italian bread.

If your using pork or Venison go with the red wine Vinegar.

Hint: Take all your dry ingrediants and mix that up with the meat then add your wet. That way the seasonings stick to the maet.
Old 04-26-2005, 09:53 AM

Default RE: Tasty Turkey

Charlie P ............ MicArcher here...........

I see you are from Broome County. You are the first I've seen from my area. I grew up in Conklin Forks and now live in Endicott. Send me a PM or zap me back an e-mail. I'd like to chat with you a bit.

Took my daughter out for the NY youth weekend, what a wash out that was. No luck at all. BUT...... she's not a quiter and will be going back out with me.

I look forward to hearing from you.

MicArcher
Old 04-26-2005, 04:04 PM

Those are some good recipes!!! Gonna try some this weekend!!
Old 04-27-2005, 11:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hey thanks for the recipes man!!
Old 04-28-2005, 09:05 AM
Boone & Crockett

Here's something else I like. Marinate the breasts in a Teriyaka and grill them or smoke em.
Old 04-30-2005, 01:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for the recipes . I wasn't going to Turkey hunt this year but I guess I might change my mind ,sounds good .
Old 06-02-2005, 02:41 AM

you guys are lucky havin wild turkey to shoot and eat.here in west oz the only turkey you can find is in somebodys fowl house or in the freezer section at the supermarket.limited sport either way.enjoy your turkey i will have to stick to marinated kangaroo steak and apricot rabbit.
Old 07-21-2005, 08:14 PM

Thanks! We put six turkeys in the freezer this spring and I was wanting to try something different this weekend!
Old 09-02-2005, 06:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well are you gonna say "Come and Get It""?? sounds deelish!!
Old 09-10-2005, 03:17 PM

ORIGINAL: hoppastoppa

you guys are lucky havin wild turkey to shoot and eat.here in west oz the only turkey you can find is in somebodys fowl house or in the freezer section at the supermarket.limited sport either way.enjoy your turkey i will have to stick to marinated kangaroo steak and apricot rabbit.

Hoppastoppa how far west you talking? I live in California and we have quite a few turkey (if you know where to go).

Quick Reply: Tasty Turkey

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.