Community
Specific Turkey Tips and Tactics How to's from cooking turkeys to conditioning calls, this forum holds it all.

Hunting scenario yesterday, need help

Old 10-05-2012, 06:31 AM
Spike

Default Hunting scenario yesterday, need help

I'm a inexperienced turkey hunter, only bagged 5 over the last few years and with 3 young boys haven't had the opportunity to invest much in developing skills and tactics. I have NEVER fall hunted.
Well, my oldest boy is 8 and he really wants to get a turkey and deer this year. So we got the chance yesterday afternoon to hunt. Here is what happened.
We are hunting over a 2 acre food plot surrounded by timber on all sides. The plan was, what most suggest, is to bust up the flock, sit down, kee-kee run and hope to get a bird.
We took the mule up to the field, upon arriving there was a flock of about 30-40 birds at the opposite corner. We took off on the mule straight at them to bust them up, BUT instead they stayed together and scurryied off into the timber. I actually could've taken a bird right then, but this trip is more about the experience of my son getting his first bird.
So, we did sit down in a blind, called a bit, got a couple talking back but never any action.
Looking at the situation in hind sight and future hunts........we can only approach the field from one corner in a vehicle. If I come up on the same scenario again, what would be the tactic?
If you come upon a field, turkeys opposite of the field and no way to back around and bust them..........what would be the approach?
Sit down across the field and just wait and see if the graze closer?
Sit down, call (what call do you make?) and try to bring them your way?
Other suggestions?
Thank you in advance for any tips. We will likely be hunting this area a few more times and am so excited for my son to get an opportunity at his first bird, I just hope I don't keep screwing it up
Old 10-05-2012, 09:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have witnessed the break-up n call back scenario work. Sounds like you started way too early from way too far away. They saw you coming. You're right. You have to scatter them in multiple directions.

If cannot you scatter the flock, I suggest you beat them to the field and wait. Or, set up between the field and roost.

Fall hunting not much different than spring as far as calls IMO. The birds want to flock instead of breed. You're looking for a lone bird that wants his/her flock. You can decoy them as well. If you have a turkey responding to you, mimic them.
Old 10-05-2012, 09:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

ya need to be there b4 they are. if that means takin a nap in the blind, so be it.
Old 10-09-2012, 05:34 AM
Spike

Thank you fellas for the tips. Getting there ahead of time is a goal, its that our hunting grounds are an hour and fifteen away. So by the time I pick up my son from school and we get there.......
However, there is a 2 acre pond at the bottom of this hilltop that the food plot sits on. I know they work back and forth between the two. I just haven't had the chance to pattern them well, but think I can either get to the field a bit quicker or if in the field, will set up downhill between the pond. They roost in some big hardwoods around the pond. Sit, wait and enjoy the time with my son. Either way, the time spent together in the blind........worth every moment.
Old 02-13-2014, 09:12 AM
Typical Buck

I have always used the break up the flock tactic, just in a different way. I try to sneak up on the birds and shoot one instead of runnin up and scarrin them right off the bat. then if I get up there and they spook before I shoot one then ive done what I was really supposed to do in the first place.
Old 02-19-2014, 11:18 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by buckman11
I have always used the break up the flock tactic, just in a different way. I try to sneak up on the birds and shoot one instead of runnin up and scarrin them right off the bat. then if I get up there and they spook before I shoot one then ive done what I was really supposed to do in the first place.
thats what i do too.