HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   South (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/south-27/)
-   -   Florida Green Swamp Post Here (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/south/92807-florida-green-swamp-post-here.html)

Chuck7 03-04-2005 05:42 PM

Florida Green Swamp Post Here

Are you folks geared up for the Spring turkey season coming up. I heard ALOT of them on a daily basis. Did you hunt there last year? How did you do? Were there alot of snakes out?
Chuck

Rebel Hog 03-05-2005 01:37 PM

RE: Florida Green Swamp Post Here

Chuck.........quit hunting Green Swamp about 5 years ago....over crowded!!

Good Luck!

DHF:KYLEN 03-07-2005 02:54 PM

:D
Chuck, hunted Green Swamp last year and have permits for both Green Swamp and Green Swamp West this year. Loved the place, but, I'm used to public hunting. Crowds don't bother me. I just want that "chance" at a tom.

Good luck this year, and be safe.;)

Chuck7 03-08-2005 03:55 PM

Thanks , I'm a teacher with alot of time built up for hunting. I plan to be out there the tuesday and wednesday after it opens. I got a spike buck out of there last year and a hog 2 years before that. I've heard a ton of turkeys while in my deer stand. This will be my first time turkey hunting in the Green Swamp. I drive a white 2 door Explorer Sport. I may see ya out there.
God Bless,
Chuck

DHF:KYLEN 03-09-2005 01:46 PM

I'll be at Green Swamp Mar 19-20 and Green Swamp West 28-31.

If you remember where you heard the Toms at I'm listening.;);););)

We, (my kids grandfather and I), will be driving a white van nick named "Turkey Van". Plan on camping out at the gate. We go on the cheap, but have a great time.[:-]

Chuck7 03-09-2005 07:14 PM

Well buddy, the turkeys are kinda of a secret. I spend a ton of time out their scouting. I'm taking a disabled man out there this year to an easier spot., but my good spot is thick and snakey. It's nice that the camping is free. I may do some myself. I've got the money to update but I also try to keep it simple.too. I do side jobs to buy my hunting and fishing stuff. Do you bass fish.? Some friends of mine are having a little bass tounamennt on the 19th. Only 15.00 entry for biggest bass.
Chuck

DHF:KYLEN 03-10-2005 11:19 AM

Yes sir I do bass fish but not on the 19th. I'll be hip deep in Green Swamp looking and listing for old Tom Turkey. Besides it's a long hull for me. I live all the way south inbetween Miami and Ft. Lauderdale.

Plan on going back out tomorrow morning to Bear Island or Turner River Unit. I've got to squeeze in as many days as I can before work gets out of hand.

I don't blame you about keeping your turkey spots a secret, I was just kidding anyway.:D

Chuck7 03-10-2005 06:43 PM

I appreciate you communicating with me. Have you ever got anything out of the Green Swamp? Do you know when the first day you can hunt if you don't have a Quota. I believe it's the first Monday after the first weekend. I plan to take a few days off in the middle of the week. There will be less hunters. I just checked. You need a quota for the `9th and 20th I believe the game warden told me anyone can hunt after that.
Good luck. Most hunters are successful around the river.
Chuck

Rebel Hog 03-10-2005 07:12 PM

ORIGINAL: Chuck7

I appreciate you communicating with me. Have you ever got anything out of the Green Swamp? Do you know when the first day you can hunt if you don't have a Quota. I believe it's the first Monday after the first weekend. I plan to take a few days off in the middle of the week. There will be less hunters. I just checked. You need a quota for the `9th and 20th I believe the game warden told me anyone can hunt after that.
Good luck. Most hunters are successful around the river.
Chuck

Chuck7,
Hunt the river which borders the Overstreet Ranch on the East side of WMA.
You will have to park in the vehicle area and walk the rest of the way.In deer
season get on TANNER ROAD going east towards the RICHLOM fence.The dogs
running RICHLOM will chase the deer over the fence to GREEN SWAMP area.
Green Swamp is 45 mins. from my place, also I pass UPPER HILLSBOROUGH WMA
in PASCO before I get to Green Swamp. Thats in pasco county on the Hillsborough River.
I have taken Turkey there too.

Chuck7 03-11-2005 10:33 AM

Yes someone shot the biggest deer in the swamp around that area. I'll look at that area sometime in the future but I've presently got a nice area myself. I'm taking a dissabled man to a place not to far from the check in station where I've heard a few turkeys. My other place I litterally hear them all day. I can't share that information because it's also my best deer spot as well. And you know as well as I do you have to work to get something from the Green Swamp. They don't come easy.
Chuck

Rebel Hog 03-11-2005 11:22 AM

Yes someone shot the biggest deer in the swamp around that area. I'll look at that area sometime in the future but I've presently got a nice area myself. I'm taking a dissabled man to a place not to far from the check in station where I've heard a few turkeys. My other place I litterally hear them all day. I can't share that information because it's also my best deer spot as well. And you know as well as I do you have to work to get something from the Green Swamp. They don't come easy.
Chuck

10-4......I hear you!

Chuck7 03-11-2005 12:48 PM

Did they ever find that hunter who got lost last year. That was right in back of one of my stands. I thought the dogs, jeeps and horses might drive something to me but they never did. That place you was talking about earlier. The easiest way to get there is by the 471 entrance isn't it. How are the roads. Someone told me that the Richloam roads are horribe and you need 4 wheel drive. Is this right?
Chuck

Rebel Hog 03-11-2005 02:04 PM

Chuck,
Like I mentioned before, I have not been there for over 5 yrs.
I have been in a hunting club in Madison County, 20 miles South
of the Georgia line.

When I use to go to Green Swamp, Tanner Road had a narrow bridge
you had to cross, after that it was OK. Yes Tanner through the main gate.I know that you had to have 4x4
for the LEFT side{west} of 471 of Green Swamp. Have been to Richlom only a
few times for Hogs with dogs. Back then I never had any problems with
the roads. As for the present, I don't know.

About 5yrs ago a young hunter from Pasco County shot a RECORD buck
for FLA., on the left side{west} of 471 of Green Swamp ,but you need 4x4 truck.
He live's down the road from me.

About the man, don't even mention about your spot! You might be called-
in for questioning!!!

Where ever you go hunting, just be real sure what you are shooting at
and where you are shooting. Now-a-days most WMA's are Crowded.
Stay up 20ft above ground if you can, with a climging stand. I'm talking
about deer hunting!
You be careful also!! Always Safety First!!
That's why I went with a hunting Club. It's over 20k acres and might have
about 10 to 12 hunters on week days, more on week-ends.
You are an intelligent professional person, please use it.
Wish you the best of luck and many enjoyable HUNTS.

Psalm 148:5,6

DHF:KYLEN 03-11-2005 02:35 PM

You two are killing me with the talk about Green Swamp. Right now I'm stuck with what I can get.[:@] But, it's still productive.:D

Here's a link to another forum on this board of a post I just made. Enjoy.;)
Extreme Southern Florida Turkeys

Chuck7 03-11-2005 04:24 PM

How did you find out about the club and what does something like that cost. Are there anymore openings?
Chuck

Rebel Hog 03-11-2005 05:47 PM

Chuck,
NO opening's yet. Most members get thier families in first, Club rules.
I think there's only 70 or 75 members at present. Fees are up to $700 a year.
Dog's are used by everyone and CB radio's with HI and LO bands.
As Proctor and Gamble goes up on acrage, then the club fees go up.
When I joined the fees were $500 and there was 4 opening's and no club
rules on membership's..There is no camping, I have a spot rented for my travel trailer
from
one of the members who live's across the road, for $150 a year.I bring it home
after the spring turkey season. I'm not going this year for spring turkey, I shot
one in the fall for thanksgining.
It borders San Pedro WMA. 50k acres, but no camping either. Part of the Econfina
river runs through San Pedro WMA and the club property.
When I go it's for 3 or 4 weeks at a time or untill I get tired. It's almost 4hrs from
the my home.
There are other clubs in that area, if I hear of some openings, I'll send you E-mail
if you like.?

YOU HAVE A SAFE ONE!

Chuck7 03-11-2005 07:50 PM

Thankyou, yes I would like that. You seem to know what your doing real good. My wife and I are both 3rd grade teachers in the public school system. If you hear something my email is [email protected].
Thanks,
Chuck

DHF:KYLEN 03-13-2005 03:06 PM

Rebel and Chuck, thanks for the information and good luck on your seasons. I hope it's safe and fun.

I'll be heading up that way on Friday, (trying some pre hunt scouting). Will hit the "terra server" trying to find something that looks good.:eek:

Like I've alwas said, "I just want the chance at that tom". And I still hold true to that.

Really enjoy the time out in the feild, and with my father and like today with my youngest son. We didn't get a bird, but had a great time together.;)

Chuck7 03-14-2005 02:19 PM

Good luck and God bless. Watch out for the snakes. I believe I can start hunting on Monday. I don't have a quota.
Chuck

DHF:KYLEN 03-20-2005 01:56 PM

Hey Chuck you're gona love that Green Swamp this year. Man oh man did I hear alot of toms.

Did alot of "walk abouting" trying to scout on site for this week. Trying to get back up there.

I got skunked. One hunter got a 21 pound bird on the opener. Lots of toms and they are hened so hit them hard and fast. Good luck to you.

DHF:KYLEN 03-22-2005 06:00 PM

Hey Chuck7 have you ever hunted or hiked, etc. in Green Swamp West?

Have a few questions about the area, any insite would be helpful. Taking my father of 67 yrs old and can't find out if you can drive inside like green swamp east.

Just asking. Not looking of the honey holes.

Chuck7 03-22-2005 07:28 PM

No sir sorry. I'm going to the other one tomorrow morning. My first time ever going turkey hunting. I've got 2 decent spots. Don't you have to have a special quota to hunt turkey in the west unit? If not ,I wouldn't mind joining you sometime. I plan to put in for the West Unit in June. I'm a little concerned about the snakes tomorrow. Keep in touch. We may end up hunting together one of these days. I generally hunt by myself.
Chuck

Please let me know when you find out. I do believe you can drive in their. Have you pulled up the brochure yet off the net? Also on that page there is a very helpful phone number. The man is very helpful.

DHF:KYLEN 03-23-2005 01:36 PM

I got the phamplet off the internet and called the number. I was told that due to the hunting season "they" are no longer in control of the "Zone" and had to call the WFC for any and all questions reguarding hunting and or anything else during this time of year. [:@] So I'll keep trying.

Did find out that there are (3) entrances to the site/area unlike shown on the map provided. One is just north of the river, (which by the way is just south of the west entrance to green swamp east). No camping at this site but was thinking that I could camp at green swamp east's west site and head out to green swamp west in the morning. After looking on the terra server, this area looks like where I would want to hunt in zone c. By going at it this way I could save alot of walking (4) miles to be exact based on the map.

Would be pretty hard to get that far on foot in the morning if only allowed to enter at 5:00 am.:eek:

Good luck on your hunt and hope you get a big one like the one on opening day. 21lbs. If you see this while on your hunt and don't get or hear a bird and still have some days to hunt the green swamp, pm me and I'll tell you where I heard and my father saw some birds. I plan, if work allows, to be back up there thursday night to hunt fri, sat, sunday then scout at green swamp west.

Go get a big one.:)

Chuck7 03-23-2005 07:03 PM

I was out there on Rock ridge road today when the radio warned me of a tornado and severe storm coming . I turned back . I'll give it another try tomorrow. I believe the number is 850-488-8573 Eddie White in charge of Quota and Special Hunt Quotas

I drive a White Explorer Sport with a bowhunting decal in the back that says Bow hunter. If you see me stop me I'd enjoy meeting you. What's your age. I'm 50 with 3 sons. Only one hunts with me about 3 times a year. He would rather paint ball. I know where the turkeys are I just need the skill to get one. Tomorrow will be my first time unless foul weather. Do you know if it will be open on Friday? I hope you do good on the West Green Swamp. Let me know what it's like. Please feel free to e-mail me at my home address as well. [email protected] I mostly hunt on week days to advoid the crowds. I'm a teacher and the FCAT is over and I have 50 sick days built up .

DHF:KYLEN 03-27-2005 02:41 PM

Chuck, hunted Green Swamp East last few days. Tom's were tough due to the weather but are coming back strong now.

Update on Green Swamp West: Put in for sure next year, you're going to be amazed at what you find.;);););)

Chuck7 03-28-2005 02:51 PM

I went last Thusday. Struck out. I went to my bow hunting spot Sat. morning and heard turkeys as soon as I opened the truck door. That's a nice sound.I started down the trail to get set up and was followed in by another turkey hunter. I called in a turkey close or maybe the other guy did but didi not see it. I'm trying again Friday. Powder Grade was full of hunters 30 trucks or more. I was closer to the river.
Chuck

DHF:KYLEN 03-29-2005 01:52 PM

If you get a chance to get back out there this year here's a spot for you.

It's in the block between 3 run road and powder grade. Hit the tera server and look for the hidden road.

Saw the biggest hen I've ever seen in there. I looked long and hard at that one. I can't get back up there this year due to work. Didn't even get to go to GS west to boot.[:@]

Good luck on the rest of your season. For me, it will be down south WMA's then hopefully up to GA and AL.:eek:

Chuck7 03-29-2005 02:32 PM

Thanks Friend,
I drove by there Sat. Over 30 trucks in that area. I've only got 2 wheel drive and the road is a little scary.E-mail me and I 'll share a good place with you. As soon as I opened the door ,I heard them purring.I kid you not they were within 20 yards. Only one other hunter. But that was one too many. I'm going there Friday morning. How are the roads in the West unit.? What is the terrain like? Did you see any game?or signs? I'm buying a Primo Freak off of Ebay. I know you have to put in before June 10th for the quotas. Do you know when and how to apply in the fall?
Thanks and please keep in touch
Chuck

Chuck7 03-29-2005 02:34 PM

My next vehicle will be 4 wheel drive. That's a fact.

LOLChuck

DHF:KYLEN 03-30-2005 04:25 PM

How are the roads in the West unit.? What is the terrain like? Did you see any game?or signs? I'm buying a Primo Freak off of Ebay. I know you have to put in before June 10th for the quotas. Do you know when and how to apply in the fall?

;) Chuck, I didn't get to go but my father of 67 and his 2 wheel drive van did. He could drive all over the place, "zone c" with no problems at all. From then on one had to walk the fire breaks just like at GS east. The terrain is way, way better, and only 8 hunters are allowed during each special permit hunt in your zone. Bottom line, no pressure due to, too many hunters. My father told me that he saw people at the gate but didn't anyone once he was let in. And that not all the people who had permits even showed up. If I knew in time that you wanted and could go I would have sent you my permit. Hated to see it go to wast.[:@][:@][:@][:@]

As far as seeing birds, It will knock your socks off whats awaiting you. We have to apply down here for that area in Septmeber the calendar year prior. We pick up the forms at the clerk of the county courts office. Then mail in with your check for $100.00 dollars.

I can sure enough gar-in-tee you that all of us will be doing so for next year. Were a likeable bunch of family and friend. Father, son, and FP&L Bob. Ages from 67 to 40.

We hunt on the cheap but have a great time. For us, it's all about having a good time in the great outdoors and spending time with friends doing something we love, turkey hunting.

;):D;):D

I've only got about 2 weeks left to my southern section spring turkey season. Which means due to work, it's down to just 2 weekends. Man oh man the pressure is on me now.

While writting this, my son just asked me if I would take him out this weekend.:) Told him, "sure". Would love to see him get one. Even if I loose my streak.:D:D

Chuck7 03-30-2005 05:00 PM

Where are yu going this weekend. I'll be at the regular Green Swamp.on Friday and Sat. I'll be there at the check station at 5: 15. off the Rockridge side. I 'll be driving a white Explorer Sport with Bow Hunting decal in the back window. I f you see me stop me I'd like to meet you. What will you be driving in.? Like I said before if you e-mail me I'll give you my exact location. I'm a nice guy too and my wife forces me not to hunt too expensive. I cut lawns on the side that is used for hunting only. I painted a house too so I got a good nest egg for fall. I wouldn't send you any trash e=mail .I'm a teacher and can't afford to lose my job.
Chuck

CONCERNING THE WEST SIDE. I thought you only sent in the 100 dollars if you are drawn to hunt there. I thought you only send in 5.oo with each application. Then if you are imformed that you were drawn you have so many days to send in the 100. is this right?

Chuck7 04-01-2005 07:57 AM

April 1st Saw one large hen. lots of turkey, deer, and hog tracks. Down side , had to walk over 2 miles.
Chuck

DHF:KYLEN 04-01-2005 12:53 PM

Yeah, but at least you din't have to work like the rest of us poor fools. I too saw a really big hen, (the biggest I've ever seen), up there in GS east.

Good luck on the rest of the weekend, I'm heading back out tomorrow at o' dark thirty to Turner River Unit. Looks like rain is in store for us but, it still won't hold me back.

A couple of weeks ago, know of a fella that shot a nice tom after we got pounded by the rain. Hoping for lightning to strike twice.:eek:

Chuck7 04-01-2005 05:28 PM

Supposed to stop raining in the morning and most is SUPPOSED to be in the northern part of Florida. I'm hoping anyway. My barrel is rusty anyway. I got a new call from Ebay today. A new Primo Freak. I wanna try it out. I need a good purring call.
C ya,
Chuck

DHF:KYLEN 04-10-2005 04:07 PM

Chuck7, how has the hunting been up there the last two weeks. My season has ended today with a total -0- in harvests for me. But had a really good time.

Might be able to hunt up at the big Green Swamp over the next two weeks if my plans for GA and Bama fall thru.

Did you ever get your bird?:eek:

Chuck7 04-12-2005 08:42 AM

4 out of 6 times I had birds answering my call. Last weekend was very close. I began using my Primos "freak" with the "cuttin striker." In 15 minutes I had 2 different sets of birds calling back. A friend of mine Strut told me when this happens to purr softer making the birds think your farther away. I wasn't doing that. Anyway as I was hoping to see a bird ,another hunter about 100 yds away sounded off 2 blast of a shotgun. I never heard anymore. I moved to powder grade but never heard any there. Saw lots of tracks though around the bay heads. I walked up on a pretty doe feeding on o fire-break. I'm taking Friday off so I'm going to try again.
Chuck

Rebel Hog 04-12-2005 09:09 AM

Chuck, I mentioned it to you before, to crouded.You were calling them
in for some another hunter. I bet he did'nt even thank you.
You did a good calling job, that's good! at least you know you can call
them in. Good luck!

Chuck7 04-12-2005 12:26 PM

Thanks Rebel Hog,
I wish I had another place in Florida to hunt that wasn't so crowded. I take off time to hunt during the week to advoid the crowds. However; that hasn't worked during turkey season. I remember you gave me some directions earlier but I didn't understand them. I believe you said to hunt close to the Richloam area. If you could give me some more exact directions I would be thankin you. If it requires 4 wheel drive I can't go.I talked to a man Sat. who shot 13 hogs in that area last year. He obviously wouldn't give me the exact location.
Chuck

DHF:KYLEN 04-12-2005 01:54 PM

Chuck7 if you go up tanic and DON"T turn off to 3 Run you'll be heading north and slightly west. I think that's the spot rebel told you about. Last year it was really over grown, but I notice this year that there must have been a burn off becuase most of it was gone.

Did you ever find the "Hidden Road" that I was telling you about? Had turkeys all in there on our walk in, we bumped them out every time. One thing I didn't like about the 5:00am at the gate starting time. I like to sneak in and set up long before they start to move.

On that spot I gave you there are two areas that held birds.
1. a place we call the big oak
2. a place we call the little "y"
It's a litlle bit of a walk but that's why I liked it, becuase I knew that no one would walk in on my set up. It's here where I saw that monster hen. And saw tracks of toms and hens all over the place. They came in after the hogs rooted up the place. If you can't find it and want to check it out on the terra server, post here and I'll try and "pm" or e-mail you. Better hurry, as of this writting, I'm heading out tomorrow night to bama and Ga.:D

Chuck7 04-12-2005 03:54 PM

I'm always happy to recieve e-mail. I really don't like driving up tanic to meet 3 mile run. The sand is really deep. I swore to myself the last time if I got out of there I wouldn't go back. I made it back it was risky. I do APPRECIATE the offer though. One day I wouldn't mind meeting you out there if you want. I went out that way by Powder. There were loads of trucks. As I drove it seem to come to an iron fence with a field on a turn off. If you kept going it led you to 3 mile run. If you folowed tghat it went to Tanic. In that area was a narrow spot about 1 mile long super sandy. If another vehivle was coming I would have been in serious trouble.
Chuck