Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > South
 Eastern Mountain Lion >

Eastern Mountain Lion

Community
South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

Eastern Mountain Lion

Old 03-02-2005, 10:43 AM

Default Eastern Mountain Lion

Some of us hunters at work were discussing the possiblitity of cougars and black panthers here in Georgia. I know that most biologists say that the only cougars in the east are in Florida, but there have been several reported sightings in recent years in the east. When I was about 15, I remember one night coming in from church with my mother and brother when a large black animal, about 4 1/2 feet long, with a tail about 3 to 4 feet in length, ran across in front of the car as we took the back drive into our house. It did not move like a dog, but more like a cat. Later on, I was talking to a deputy sheriff and he mentioned that he had seen several in our part of Georgia as well.

What about you southern or eastern hunters out there? Have you ever encountered something like this?
Old 03-02-2005, 11:03 AM

Default RE: Eastern Mountain Lion

My grandpa has told me stories of hearing/seeing a panther cat in North Carolina. He said he heard one when he was a kid and several years ago he claimed he saw a large black cat crossing a trail, but only got a glimpse of half of it. Who knows
Old 03-02-2005, 03:02 PM
Boone & Crockett

I have seen three large black cats. Two in the daytime in central Alabama and one at night in Florida. I would guess that they were about 60 or 75 pounds in weight. One of the one in the daytime trotted up to a friend of mine while deer hunting and then turned and came down the bottom to me. Both of us had it within 15 yards, but didn't shoot.
Old 03-02-2005, 05:45 PM

here in Virginia we have plenty of mountain lions and black panthers.