Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > South
 Predators in NC >

Predators in NC

Community
South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

Predators in NC

Old 01-17-2005, 02:19 PM

Default Predators in NC

I'm stationed at MCAS Cherry Point and was wondering if there is good predator hunting in the area. any info would be greaty appreciated.
Old 01-17-2005, 06:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Predators in NC

I'm about 2 1/2 hrs from there. We have some yote's and bobcats up this way.
Old 01-17-2005, 08:06 PM
Fork Horn

Black bear. It is my understanding that Van Swamp is pretty good. Never done any myself though.
Old 01-18-2005, 10:18 AM

I have tried the Alcoa Game Lands and have not seen much. I am going out tomorrow to Uwharrie National Forest hoping for better luck. Anyone have any feedback on those two game lands I mentioned? Also How does the cold weather affect animals like the coyote, fox and bobcat? Do they sleep in till it warms up?? Any info, as I am new to hunting would be helpful. Thanks Bros and Gals.
Old 01-18-2005, 05:55 PM

Uwharie National Forest has quite a few bobcats and coyotes running through there. Id be careful sitting around rockpiles cause there are alot of rattlers up that way. Probably wont have much trouble with them tommorow being they are calling for snow.... I like hunting down there. Very peaceful and quite if you find the right spots.
Old 01-19-2005, 05:05 PM

BFNC where bouts in the forest? I just got back and did not see anything. I went south of the Hunt Camp off of FS555. It did not help that my caller was frozen and did not work. Any good spots you can share? I am still looking for my first kill!!![:@]
Old 01-20-2005, 07:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Jarhead, not too much good predator hunting around there, black bears and yotes and foxes and bob-cats. Did a lot of hunting in the Croitan, especially the catfish lake and the duck impoundment area. There is some good hunting on camp lejune also. How do I know is because I lived there in atlantic bch and hubert, nc for about 10 yrs building on the bases. Hope you like the mess hall at cherry point as I was the project superintent in its face lift about 10 yr ago. Good luck marine, Bobby
Old 01-22-2005, 07:49 PM

I HAVE HUNTED UWHARRIE FOREST ON PUBLIC GAME LAND DURING DEER SEASON.tOO MANY HUNTERS FOR ME.tHE DEER ALSO SEEMED TO BE SMALL IN SIZE.i DID SEE LOT OF SMALL GAME,SQUIRRELLS MOSTLY.
Old 02-20-2005, 05:42 PM

MarineStud,

If you can take some advice from a ex-Navy Corpman. Served with the green team for 8 years. Go up to Bertie and Martin counties. Most farmers will be happy to let you shoot coyote and nutria out of their peanut and bean fields. After having lived in NM, not much of a challenge anymore. Switched to Bow and Shotgun for them. Try up around Williamston. Rabbit Squealer works well. I used to simulate a fox and a rabbit going at it. A coyote will come from along way to take a fox killaway from him. Good Luck................