Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

predators

Old 10-30-2005, 02:50 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default predators

How much will the yotes affect the deer herd in a particular area? Does it take a pack of predators to adversly effect the deer or can a couple roaming around the area hinder the deer activity? Do they effect mature bucks and where they want to roam or mainly yearlings??
I've noticed FAR less deer so far this season and have seen far more coyotes than I ever have. Just wondering if I should attribute most of the decline in deer activity on my land to the yotes or something "else". There's always been yotes around here and there, but this year I've seen them way too many times.

Old 10-30-2005, 05:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: predators

Im in the same boat as you. I am seeing alot of coyote sign and two coyotes on a daily basis. I am to the point that ,if legal, I am gonna go out with my .243 and take them out of the equation. On monday I am gonna call the DEC to make sure I can be in the woods with a .243 in open bow season. If they say NO I am gonna use the old 12 gauge with some buck shot.
Old 10-30-2005, 06:56 AM

SPIKEHORN1
The way I read it in the Hunting regulations guide you can use a rifle if you are in the New Southern Zonerifle areas or the Northern Zone, page 19. You should have a copy of the guide.
Also you can "NOT" carry a firearm while bowhunting,the DEC is really tough on that one.
Good luck
Bill
Old 10-30-2005, 10:31 AM

The yotes will take fawns early but by the fall i think that they will be getting to large for one yote by himself to take down. About the mature bucks part i dont think that a yote would mess with a mature buck unless its dying or very sick.A pack might take down a yearling but it think that it would be to much work for them.
Old 10-30-2005, 11:00 AM

Had a buddy of mine yeterday took a yote out while deer hunting. There was 3 of them total chasing a fawn. The one he did get was with his bow, and had to shoot it 3 times. He shot once at one of the others but missed. Here in Ohio you can use rifle or whatever day or night, and 365 days a year I believe. I'm really not sure what kind of effect they have on a deer herd, but they will put a really big dent in small game populations!! That's one of the reason's the wolf was introduce again out west, to put a dent in the yote population.
Old 10-30-2005, 01:34 PM

Here is a link that you might want to read just in case you want to hunt coyotes whendeer season is over.

http://www.dto.com/hunting/article.jsp?articleid=548
Old 10-30-2005, 01:37 PM
Fork Horn

I hunt in an area with a lot of Coyotes, but haven't seen one yet this year chasing deer, or a dead deer with bite marks
Old 10-31-2005, 02:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

I spoke to the DEC today and you can not use a rifle while any deer season is open, So I am going to try to nab them with my shotgun with some buck shot.