Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > South
 Wild pig hunting ?'s >

Wild pig hunting ?'s

South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

Wild pig hunting ?'s

Old 01-12-2005, 07:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Wild pig hunting ?'s

I know this is in the wrong region to which I will be hunting, but feel this is where I will get the better responses from due simply to the fact that there seems to be more people in here.

With that said. I am looking at running over to the California coast this April to hunt Wild pigs. They are prolific over there, and hunting is fairly cheap. I can do this on one weekend (and have to given the regulations of where I plan to hunt).

I just have some questions mainly on hunting techniques. There area I plan to hunt will be Fort Hunter Liggett in Monterey County. It is open brush/chapparal type country. Not sure of the pig population, but I do know it is good enough to warrant hunting for them on the post.

How would be the best way to go about hunting these critters. I am not sure how big they get, but guessing somewhere around 100-150lbs would be about norm. Would it be best to spot and stalk, or sit on waterholes and wait for them to come in?

Also, what kind of cuts of meat do you get off of wild pigs. I would imagine it is butchered similar to domestic swine, but maybe a little bit more lean? Or do you turn most of it into sausage?

Any help would be great. Thanks

-Marcial
Old 01-13-2005, 07:38 AM

Default RE: Wild pig hunting ?'s

I've hunted pigs a few times, and it's been over feeders. They're strange animals--once they make up their mind to eat someplace, they will, even if one of their group gets shot. The rest run off, but come right back.

In terms of butchering, the backstraps and tenderloins are worth salvaging separately. As you mentioned, all the meat is quite lean. My wife marinates the the backstraps and tenderloins in a fairly flavorful mix, usually involving pineapple juice. That helps remove (or at least cover) any gamey taste.

We roasted the hindquarters from one hog (a smallish one); they were very tasty and required very little seasoning. The shoulders were given to a neighbor for making tamales, and I don't know exactly how she prepared the meat. The tamales were excellent, though.

The ribs are still in the freezer.
Old 01-13-2005, 01:20 PM

Born and raised on the west coast. Two things, water and oak trees. Find those and you will find the pigs, you'll know your close when you walk under a tree and it looks like a tractor has been under it. Should still be some acorns around for them to eat. It has been pretty wet so they will likely be moving around more, good for you. Good luck
Old 01-13-2005, 05:01 PM

If the pic you posted is similiar to the size land youll be hunting. youd better hope you pick the right spot. me personally....i grew up hunting hogs....if an area is not baited with proof of hogs eating the bait everynight i wont sit anywhere. I GO GET EM!!!.....Spot and stalk allows you to cover more ground. If you run up on a spot where you can smell em and you know they have been there that morning or lastnight..Id sit an hour or so. No luck.....KEEP Walking. Youll have more success!! Hogs dont hear or see all that well....BUT THEYLL BUST YOUR SCENT FASTER THAN ANY WHITETAIL!!!...Keep the wind in your face and go get em....GOOD LUCK!!!!
Old 01-13-2005, 05:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for the info!

bfnc- no that is an area here in Nevada (its my signature pic). There are no hogs on that land. The land I will be hunting is more of the California coast, scrub oak/chaparral stuff.
Old 01-13-2005, 07:17 PM

they will, even if one of their group gets shot. The rest run off, but come right back.
around where we hunt them feed stations.when you shoot one the rest are gone for at least a week or better.with a bow they don't seem to mind(they don't relize what happened),but with a gun there gone.
Old 01-14-2005, 06:44 AM

Tree climber . . .I hunt with a long gun and have on a number of hunts found that when i shoot a pig who is in a group, usually at a feeder the others run around like a chinese fire drill and are back with in 10 minutes if you sit quite. It can be worth the wait.