HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Wild pig hunting ?'s
View Single Post
Old 01-12-2005, 07:57 PM
charlie brown
Nontypical Buck

Default Wild pig hunting ?'s

I know this is in the wrong region to which I will be hunting, but feel this is where I will get the better responses from due simply to the fact that there seems to be more people in here.

With that said. I am looking at running over to the California coast this April to hunt Wild pigs. They are prolific over there, and hunting is fairly cheap. I can do this on one weekend (and have to given the regulations of where I plan to hunt).

I just have some questions mainly on hunting techniques. There area I plan to hunt will be Fort Hunter Liggett in Monterey County. It is open brush/chapparal type country. Not sure of the pig population, but I do know it is good enough to warrant hunting for them on the post.

How would be the best way to go about hunting these critters. I am not sure how big they get, but guessing somewhere around 100-150lbs would be about norm. Would it be best to spot and stalk, or sit on waterholes and wait for them to come in?

Also, what kind of cuts of meat do you get off of wild pigs. I would imagine it is butchered similar to domestic swine, but maybe a little bit more lean? Or do you turn most of it into sausage?

Any help would be great. Thanks

-Marcial