Virginia ban hunting with dogs PETITION >

Virginia ban hunting with dogs PETITION

Community
South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

Virginia ban hunting with dogs PETITION

Old 11-11-2004, 06:28 AM

Default RE: Virginia ban hunting with dogs PETITION

don't hate it untill you try it
I have tried it I was brought up a dog hunter I dog hunted for almost 20 years. I know what it is all about. You run a deer till it can't run anymore the herds scatter road kills go up. The dogs get hit alot of the times alot of the hunters you call when you catch one of there dogs never come get them. So yeah I can knock it.
Old 11-11-2004, 08:08 AM

This post was made by Nchunter in the bow forums this is the kind of stuff we are dealing with. I think all of you that love dog hunting so much need about two clubs like these around ya'll. Hell come on down we'll hook you up on a free guided hunt!!!!!!! Sat.about 4:30 some idiot with a 7mm mag shot at a deer crossing the hwy about 300 yds down the road from my driveway. The bullit traveled diagonally down hwy thru 10-15 yds of light brush hit inlaws house across from mine,it went thru glass storm door,thru steelclad door and one side of interior sheetrock wall.Thankfully,nobody was in the house at the time. Then they proceded to release dogs on my side that ruined my bowhunt about 800 yds away (IN THE WOODS where you hunt)a daily ocurrance.My wife was outside my house painting,farmer next door heard shot knew it was too close,went and ran off two @ssholes mid 20's,posted signs everywhere both sides of hwy but didn't know them or get tag#.We've had problems before,4 yrs ago a fool shot deer in inlaws yard case dropped by sorry @ss judge in court,left m/inlaw and warden standing there like "What the **** just happened" Pretty sure it's the same group this time.The ring leader works for land owner of ajoining property neither seem to care.Quote"Sounds like a good reason to stay inside" Not safe there either.Sheriff and warden called,hands tied,no eyewitness. It's making it hard not to become a member of the SSS club.My deer season may be over time to hunt dogs and the hunter.Don't mean to seem harsh but if their pointing my way I'm shooting that way(pretty good shot too) I normally would not harm anyone,but these guys act like rabid animals when chasing deer and I don't want to get bit(family shot) before putting them down. Da mn a stupid dog deer hunter. Needed to vent thanks

sorry if large

11/7/2004 6:07:26 PM Report Abuse | ID: 818179

kec
Spike

RE: Idiots with guns (in reply to NC hunter)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hunt the Hunters but don't punish the dogs for those idiots actions. They know not what they have done wrong. (not condoning violence!!!).

Did ya try calling the state police? Don't know if it would help...but can't hurt...i guess.

KEC

Life Member NRA
Life Member Buckmaster's
Member Central Jersey Rifle & Pistol Club

11/7/2004 7:16:45 PM Report Abuse | ID: 818229

NC hunter
Spike

RE: Idiots with guns (in reply to NC hunter)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I agree w/you about punishing the dogs but I will try to catch them and break up that hunt as far as the hunters I've backed up to my property and THAT IS AS FAR AS I"M BACKING!!!!!!!

copy of post I made on local board on this subject
Don't get me wrong,I understand and enjoy some types of dog hunting(coon,bear,rabbit,retrievers) Deer hunting with dogs takes a lot of land to be done safely but by it's very nature of fast paced wide ranging animals being shot at when they are in open areas leads to a dangerous situation when done in a populated area,by fools that get that wild man look in their eyes and see nothing but the deer not thinking about downrange.These idiots will not listen to reason we've tried for several yrs.I hate to see any type of hunting banned but under these situations would support it. We have several so called clubs that hunt this area and it seems like a compition to get the deer before he leaves their area or just as soon as he does for surrounding clubs,none of which are very large.The largest about 2000ac next about 600ac,turns in to a free for all when the dogs cross lines. It's not all dog deer hunters causing problems but around here it is most of them
Old 11-11-2004, 08:18 AM

this is a map of nchunters property that he posted as well

Old 11-11-2004, 10:02 AM

Now what you guys talk about is not the way we dog hunt, but i know it is for many people. We have alot of pride and deer hunting with dogs. We don't shoot across fields, we don't road hunt, i agree there are people out there that don't go by the same ethics i'm talking about. I wish they would make dog chasing a little more stricker in some minds. I've been places they road hunt , and i do feel its wrong. They should make it where if you hunting with dogs you cannot use rifles, you cannot road hunt and ENFORCE it. but how we hunt is diffferent , we all draw for stands in the morning , the president decides which dogs will use that day. We have 65 dogs (half are beagles), and we proably send 5 packs of 4-7 per hunt. which makes it fun and no we don't run all the deer out of the woods. Matter of fact i've seen so many time that deer will split. So i guess it just how you hunt, i'm sure not all of you that are against dog hunting have hunted this way the only thing you have ever seen is road hunters. So i think hunting with dogs is, just depending all who you hunt with. I love hunting with dogs, its not about killing deer its about listening to the dogs run. Granted i know there are alot of people that give dog chasing a bad rap and should be banned from doing it. Its kinda like carrying a gun, only people should be allowed to do it, that know how to use it in a safe manor. but that just my two cents
Old 11-11-2004, 08:08 PM
Spike

the use of running deer with dogs is a southern tradition that we are losing. i live in louisiana and the formation of hunting clubs here has just about done away with a deer hunting tradition. that is running deer with dogs . in LA. we have pine thickets that are so thick sometimes a dog can not manuver through them easily and a man can give it up. their is no bigger thrill than to be at a spot hunting and to hear the sound of the dogs coming your way . your heart starts skipping a beat ha. ha. your adridilin starts to flow and you know that with in a few seconds that a deer is headed your way . what A rush !!or you hear the dogs heading in the other direction and old mossy horns runs up behind you unexpected. if dog hunting is outlawed ,what tradition will we as hunters lose next.???? i have friends that only hunt with bows. should we outlaw hunting deer with a gun???? no i say. we as hunters must stick together as a group and support each and every tradition and ways that our forefathers used to hunt the elusive white tail deer
Old 11-11-2004, 09:18 PM
Fork Horn

As a hunter myself,I don't wish to see any safe reasonable type of hunting banned but most of the guys that dog hunt around here are slobs. Dog hunting can be done safely when done as some of you have posted by being on stand,but the slobs around here jump in their truck to head off the deer. When they arrive at a new location they really are not sure of what may be going on just out of sight in the treeline,over the hill,or around the corner,when their may be a farmer checking his fenceline in the treeline,a kid playing just over the hill or a family walking around the corner. They also knowingly dump a pack of dogs on posted property hoping to run something out the other side and anyone that says that dosen't ruin stand/still hunting (Especally bow)on that property for the day is full of crap. You may get a chance with a gun but I don't like eating something that has been running a half a day,too gamey. You can try talking to them but it does no good. What I wish could be done is to ban slob hunters. So if anyone has a solution to this problem please speak up. Because if I as a hunter have a problem with the way some are hunting,imagine what a normaly neutral nonhunter is thinking.Problems like this need to be solved before we all loose the privilege of hunting the way we like too. I'm tired of fearing for my and my family's safety. I'm not going to lay down and cover my head when shots are fired without shooting back.
Old 11-12-2004, 06:51 AM

Possible part way solution:
Seek a shotgun only season for doghunters. Some states use this already especially in populated areas.{ At least helps the safety issue}

I was talking to an old friend last night while coming back from a business trip. I asked about his deer season expecting him to show some excitement for modern Gun opening Saturday in VA. His reply was
"Season Ends Friday" he explained the dog hunters will be out in full force and that only a crazy man would dare get out with dog hunters in the field. Not crazy to hunt with dogs but crazy to try and stand hunt or still hunt knowing the doghunters are out. He claimed every side road around him out on the Northern NEck will be full of trucks to where you can't hardly drive down em. He added that he was going out to the bay to try and troll for some Rockfish, they have been catching soime 30-40 pounders.
Anyway PearlJAM where is that petition?, this fella would like to know more about it. He hunts hard and its kinda sad for me to hear his deer season is over before it really even starts. His thoughts were "Thank God for Rockfish and ducks"
Old 11-12-2004, 07:35 AM
Fork Horn

I agree with the statement that banning is for anti's..... I do feel that hunting with dogs could be better regulated.. shotguns only, etc etc...

Like I said any hunting I havde done for deer in the last few years that has involved a dog has been mostly bird dogs... and alot of the people I know who were die-dard hound hunters are switching over to bird dogs as well... 99% of the time you dont have to chase a dog.. it only runs a few hundred yards and comes back to the driver...which means not being out on the road to get them which means less chance of accidents or of someone takign it as road hunting... just alot of things which put them in the use of pointers...... but I know you still have die hard houndsmen and nothign wrong with that and then you have slobs which I refuse to add hunter to the end of that since slobs are not hunters but poachers... but I believe weather we like the style of one persons hutnign or not we should all as hunters stand together... just my thoughts
Old 11-12-2004, 07:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

I live and do most of my hunting west of the "dog line" so hunting with dogs here is illegal. But I have a problem with banning one form of hunting. Once they ban hunting with dogs, what will be next? Bowhunting? Muzzleloading? As you can see with gun bans once one is banned, they will try to ban others.
Old 11-12-2004, 01:17 PM

Ive dog hunted and I'll just say its not for me. I have seen too many crazy things happen during dog hunting. Im not against anyone hunting with dogs, but it kills me when some people lease properties across the road or down the road a mile or so from yours and you have to put up with the dogs ending up on your property changing the deers patterns. Especially during the pre-rut and rut. I would prefer if they would wait and allow dog hunting in December instead of during the peak of the rut.

Quick Reply: Virginia ban hunting with dogs PETITION

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.