Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > South
 New to hunting >

New to hunting

Community
South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

New to hunting

Old 08-10-2004, 04:41 PM

Default New to hunting

I am new to hunting as well as this forum. I'm 22 years old, i've grown up around guns, and have a pretty good collection of my own. I have never been hunting and have been wanting to go for some time now ( my main thing is saltwater fishing and diving). I live in central Florida on the west coast. My dad and I would like to go this coming season for deer, hog, and turkey. Any information would be great. I did read old posts about how to wash and store hunting clothes. We will most likely get a guide, since neither of us know how to dress one if we were lucky enough to get a shot.
Old 08-10-2004, 07:01 PM

Default RE: New to hunting

Welcome to the forum, as I'm new to this site as well. This is a very good spot to start .You can learn a lot by reading old posts or just asking whats on your mind. As far as finding a spot to hunt you could probably hang around the local gun store or sporting goods store and ask around there. There might be clubs or something . As far as hunting on your own, you could get a how to video or your local processor might be able to help you out as far as field dressing. I was in the same boat years ago, but I still hunt on some public lands. Just make time to find an area and scout or have someone help you find a good spot, but let them explain why thats a good spot. I'm a big fan of watching hunting dvd's it'll get you pumped up as well as educated.Try to find out who offers a hunters ed class and take it. It might even be required.
Just get out there and enjoy what the good lord gave us , and if you don't harvest anything this time there is always next time. If you don't take anything but knowledge out of the woods pass it on to someone who wants to learn! Have fun and a safe hunting season BuckDiesel
Old 08-10-2004, 07:14 PM

Thanks Buck. I've already learned alot from this website. On the florida fish and wildlife website, it said you have to take a hunters education class if you were born after a certain date. Is that only if you hunt on state land that you need that? Anybody know a good guide service in florida? Do any of you carry a side arm in case of snakes/rapid animal ect?
Old 08-10-2004, 08:01 PM
Fork Horn

The hunter ed course is for anyone born after a certain date, public or private land. Ross Hammond Ranch is big in your area, they have a web sight just do a search. Also there are alot of wmas in your area for you to hunt just check the regulations. Talk to local sporting goods stores for some other guides and info.
Old 08-11-2004, 03:00 PM

I found their Website the other day doing a search. Anybody been there? good experience?
Old 08-11-2004, 03:27 PM
Fork Horn

I haven't been there but I do know one of the guides, Dave is a great hunter and says there are tons of hogs, turkey and deer on the ranch as well as exotics. I met Dave when he was up here catching some hogs off a piece of property my boss was selling.
Old 08-13-2004, 02:18 PM

I would suggest learning all you can about your quarry. How they move through the world, how to fool them, patterns, and habitats, etc. Read some hunting magazines just to get a feel for it. Since you are experienced with firearms, it should be easier for you. Know where the vitals are on all your game for a quick and humane kill.

Most of all, be safe. Take the course whether you legally need it or not. It will probably be common sense stuff(I know the one I took was) but you will still proably learn something. Second most of all, have fun. Enjoy the woods and the animals. The thrill of being afield. MAke sure the deer you take is the one you want. If you just want meat, take a nice tender doe, but if you want horns(as well as mildly less tender meat) be patient. Hunting is 99.5% preperation. pulling the trigger is easy(well, throw out the rubber barrel shakes that come with a bigun) The kill is the culmination of hard work and waiting for the proper moment. Every other moment leading up to that is just as sweet(even freezeing your ass off and watching a pencil horn midget all morning) I'm babbling. . . . I need the season to get here already!