Snakes in the South while huntin

Community
South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

Snakes in the South while huntin

Old 05-11-2005, 04:28 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Snakes in the South while huntin

Hey Chubber,
I came down here from Falls church in 1981. I 've been living in Central Florida all this time. Your biggest problem won't be the snakes.It's finding a spot away from the other hunters. And yes,seriously,the gators are more of a threat. A 12 footer can sink into a 12" mud hole and if you ain't looking good,you'll step right on him. Then you got a serious problem.They can be found in places where you would think a frog wouldn't live.
Chuck
Old 05-12-2005, 11:03 PM

Heck,here in Fla. we don't have to worry bout snakes, the Gators eat them all.[][&:]
Old 05-12-2005, 11:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

Well i know i'm not south (southern boy at heart though) but i know what everyone means by snake problems. I live in the valley so we have alot of cottonmouths and such. When i go camping or dove hunting even, i carry a big knife with me. I know its not much but its saved me in the past when dealing with a snake
Old 05-14-2005, 10:23 AM

quote:

ORIGINAL: tracker

I`m more worried about the ticks then the snakes. Hung a couple stands this weekend and the ticks are going to be bad this year in North Carolina

Tracker, you took the words right off of my keyboard!
I made a trip to the woods yesterday, and the chiggers and ticks are awful! I'm more afraid of them than of any snakes!
This is very true. Snakes are only interested in things they can eat and the only snakes that are large enough for humans to be in their prey size range are the Anaconda and Reticulated Python; neither of which is found in the U.S. Ticks on the other hand are always looking for human sized mammals to feed on and carry some nasty diseases, particularly Lyme disease and Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever which despite its name is endemic in the eastern United States.

Caldoc
Old 05-27-2005, 07:51 PM
jkb

I live in Louisiana we have plenty things that will bite you.I spend alot of time out in the woods spring ,summer and fall.I just walk around them I feel it is thier house not mine.They eat bugs to the bite me .When I hear a turkey it is the snake that needs to be carefull because I'm turning and burning to get set up.Doesn.t have anything to do with this but I remember a saying my old drill sargent told me.It pays the same to march as it does to fight.Keep your head down
Old 05-27-2005, 08:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

honestly i've never had a run in with a snake, knock on wood, i hope i don't ever for that matter.
Old 05-28-2005, 03:28 PM

I see snakes just 'bout everyday around the house here. With the rice fields, canals, rivers and swamps, they're everywhere. When we go fourwheeler riding, I take my .22 ruger with me just for a little target practice.
Old 05-29-2005, 10:19 AM

here is a central florida snake

Old 05-29-2005, 03:16 PM
Dominant Buck

Where abouts in central Florida did it come from?
Chuck
Old 05-31-2005, 04:15 AM

I hunt in the mountains of Va. the only time I worry about snakes is during Spring Gobbler season, When I find myself sitting next to a dead fall and realize this is where they like to hind. On my fathers 90 acre farm in the past 9 years he has "removed" 27 rattlers.

Quick Reply: Snakes in the South while huntin

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.