Florida Info, lots of questions >

Florida Info, lots of questions

Community
South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

Florida Info, lots of questions

Old 01-09-2004, 09:14 AM
Spike

Default Florida Info, lots of questions

The family and I are considering moving somewere around Delray Beach.
I have heard that Delray is more or less a suburb of Miami, wondering if this is true. We don't really want to move to a huge metropolitan area.
Next and most importantly how is the hunting in Southern Florida? The bow season in the southern management area is only a month long. But the gun season is huge. It is kind of backward from what I am used to here in Oklahoma. Just wondering if what I am reading is correct, getting my info from the Florida Conservation Commission.
This is a huge move for us and I have a million questions about hunting and the Delray Beach area so any info would be great thanks.
Old 01-09-2004, 01:25 PM

Default RE: Florida Info, lots of questions

don't know bout the delray area , as for hunting. you are right bout the seasons.we have about a mo. bow season,9 day B/P season , and about 3 mo's. gun season.
You can take two deer a day each day for the 4 mo. and 9 day B/P season.as for the rest of the info , the book tells it all.there are some management ares down south,and the glades.I know , Fesheating creek is a big area.
Old 01-09-2004, 02:02 PM
Fork Horn

There is some great hunting in south Fl. Lots of deer turkey and hogs. There are lots of wmas down in that area and lots of private land to, mostly cattle ranches and orange grove but I am sure some of them do hunting leases. Huntma could probably tell you more about the wmas in that area than anyone, try talking to her
Old 01-11-2004, 08:28 PM
Spike

Thanks guys,
It sounds like Florida's seasons are just the oppisite of what they are here in Oklahoma, we have nine days B.P., 16 Rifle and 3 1/2 months of bow. Are the glades pretty much all public land?
I do appreciate the info it sounds like pretty good hunting.
I will see if I can contact huntma and see what she knows.
Old 01-16-2004, 07:00 PM
Spike

Can you put up with skeeters, heat until the end of general gun season, gators, competition from other hunters, stumbling over big hogs while your walking out to your stand in the early AM, maybe getting your quota permit maybe not, having your tree stand or stands stolen or finding it occupied, lots of water, mud and sand, being stuck for hours until help comes by, deer that are not typically that big, leaves that never turn brown, no snow to track in, and others that I can think of right now. You've found the place. I would'nt trade florida for anywhere else. [8D]

Oh yeah, the turkeys have all gone through advanced survival training!!!

I hunt at Three Lakes Wildlife Management area which is considered central. My one and only buck this year was a 140# six point.

Lots of luck and welcome if you should come this way, e-mail me if you make it down and I'll meet you there.
Old 01-22-2004, 02:45 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: okierut

We don't really want to move to a huge metropolitan area.
Hi okierut,

Delray may not be like downtown Miami, YET, but I've lived here in South Florida (Hollywood) since 1982 and what I will say is that over the past 5-7 years or so the population has exploded tremendously. And it will continue to do so. Also, the real estate market is pretty high. You do not get much land at all for the price you pay for property. Houses are packed pretty close together. I'm not trying to make it sound bad, but your comment about not wanting to move to a huge metropolitan area and you being from Oklahoma, you will definately notice the amount of people here. Driving I-95 through Palm beach, Broward, & Dade Counties can be a real nightmare! The turnpike isn't too much better anymore either.

Now I've heard that there are some great hunting areas down here (I'm new to hunting so I can't offer too much info. about that yet). Here's a link that you can check out if you haven't done so already to get some info. on Florida's Wildlife Management Areas: http://wildflorida.org/hunting/

A suggestion, I don't know if you have any commitments to Delray Beach, but you might want to check out the area around Ocala. It's a little north of Orlando, but it's just recently being built up so you can still get property at a decent price, and actually get a little bit of land! Or you can even check further north: Gainesville Tallahassee, the panhandle area...

If a heavy population is a concern to you then realize that even that area (Ocala) in about 3-5 years is going to be heavily populated. Florida is a rapidly growing state and is only going to get more & more crowded. But if you don't mind heavy congestion, then Florida, at least South Florida for now, is the place for you! Just give North & Central Florida a little more time to catch up!
Old 02-05-2004, 03:12 PM

Hey... I used to live in Oklahome, in Edmond outside of OKC... I have lived in four places in Florida, and I have only really liked one of them! I have lived in Davie (outside Ft. Lauderdale), Casselberry (outside Orlando), Valrico (outside Tampa), and now I live in Gainesville. Gainesville is by far the best. I love NorthCentral Florida compared to the rest of the state. There is nothing wrong with Miami area, but I can assure you it will be a huge culture shock, and the people in general are not even close to as friendly as us Okies! BUT!!! the fishing in Florida is second to none and makes it all worth while. I am just now getting into hunting, but all of my friends that hunt deer go to Alabama where they have too many deer and the property is cheaper to get on a lease. All my buddies say that Turkey and Hogs are great in Fla also. Good luck with the move and hopefully you will like it here in Florida![8D]
Old 03-02-2004, 06:34 AM

Come on down, the huntings fine. Just snakes and gators in the way.[:-]

Found the "Osceola super highway". Took all month, (Feb). But we found them. Only 4 days left till the opener.

Old 03-02-2004, 07:02 AM
Boone & Crockett

I would opt for northwest Florida area if hunting and fishing is something you are going to use in your consideration. In our area a 10 # bass will hardly raise an eyebrow and you aren't but 100 miles from the rich central Alabama deer and turkey hunting. Saltwater fishing is great also.
Old 03-02-2004, 08:42 PM

i live in centreal florida, and the deer and turkey hunting is great here, but I hunt on private land. I think the deer get smaller as you go farther south, though. I thought all they had down near Miami was that little 50 pound Key West deer.

Quick Reply: Florida Info, lots of questions

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.