A.P. Hill Hunters....AGAIN >

A.P. Hill Hunters....AGAIN

Community
South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

A.P. Hill Hunters....AGAIN

Old 11-09-2003, 08:41 AM
Typical Buck

Default A.P. Hill Hunters....AGAIN

I have this coming week off and planned to hunt the " Hill" a few days, some guys told me that most of the areas are closed due to training, it is Sunday and I called the " hotline" and it said that ALL areas on Monday the 10th are closed. Some have said that Tuesday the " Hill" is only open until 12 becasue of the holiday. The only areas open are Perimeter Stands. What is a Perimeter stand? Thanks~Ben
Old 11-09-2003, 10:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: A.P. Hill Hunters....AGAIN

Perimiter stands are located just inside the impact area, along range road, across the 301 highway. not sure how many of them there are right now, probably 25 - 30 of them. it will cost you an extra ten bucks for that permit for the season. most of the areas are pretty good locations, i think they allow you to walk in about 100 yards and sit. you have to stay in the immediate area of the stand. give it a try, might be worth the trip.
Old 11-10-2003, 06:34 AM
Giant Nontypical

Yeah, AP Hill was CLOSED when I called the GW check station on Saturday morning!! [:@] Man, I was hot.... I had all my stuff together and loaded up and ready to hit " The Hill" too. I heard they are doing some kind of training exercises and closed the TA' s too. Sheesh.... $35 bucks.... for this?? [:@]

I went out to Cumberland State Forest and around Bear Creek State Park (waaaaay out Route 60 from Richmond). Really nice place. Very promising. [:-] Heard muzzleloaders going off almost every half hour too. Didn' t get a buck or doe, but I see a big doe hauling a$$ through the woods - I think she got spooked by some muzzleloader hunters out walking on a trail.

Butch
Old 11-10-2003, 07:34 AM
Typical Buck

Yea, I understand the need for training and support that but........... thats something to take into concideration when charging 35 bucks to hunt, if all the areas stay closed well, what was the 35 bucks for? I am not a happy camper.
Old 11-10-2003, 08:11 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: BenfromVa
Yea, I understand the need for training and support that but........... thats something to take into concideration when charging 35 bucks to hunt
You said it! [:@]

Even the lady out in Cumberland State Forest (the gas station/check station, at the entrance of Bear Creek State Park) - when I told her about Ft AP Hill being closed and stuff - she couldn' t believe it..... She was like, " Closed? On a Saturday during black powder?!? [] Wow... That' s not right. Lots of angry hunters I would imagine" .

Butch