How do you scout Google Maps? >

How do you scout Google Maps?

Community
South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

How do you scout Google Maps?

Old 11-26-2015, 03:36 AM
Spike

Default How do you scout Google Maps?

I know time in the woods is the best way to scout, but how do you decide where you want to scout?
Personally, I scour Google maps and look for certain terrain features, such as a bottle neck between two bay heads. The bad part is, sometimes the maps are deceiving and don't give a good idea of whats under water and what's dry.
What do you look for when you're net scouting?
Old 11-26-2015, 05:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Depends on what game I'm after. We use it quite a bit for turkey, especially new areas.
Old 11-30-2015, 01:25 PM
Spike

I flip between google maps, google earth, bing maps, and apple maps. Each one has a little different lighting on what I'm looking at however they can all be quite deceiving. what looks like green open grass in some is actually palmettos. Some show enough detail to see that and some don't. I usually get about 4 or 5 spots to check out and then mark them on the gps and head out one day to check them out and walk the area. Sometimes it works out but a lot of times its a bust.
Old 11-30-2015, 01:27 PM
Spike

One place I wanted to try in green swamp wma looked great on google maps. I set out down the trail only to run directly into a boundary fence which is not on the boundary map for the WMA but sure is marked out there. Not to mention it was flooded about 2 foot deep or more. On the maps it looked like a straight road/path to where I wanted to go. Pissed me right off haha
Old 12-02-2015, 08:53 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Boosted
One place I wanted to try in green swamp wma looked great on google maps. I set out down the trail only to run directly into a boundary fence which is not on the boundary map for the WMA but sure is marked out there. Not to mention it was flooded about 2 foot deep or more. On the maps it looked like a straight road/path to where I wanted to go. Pissed me right off haha
Something similar happened to me, and will probably happen in the future. Thanks for the advice!
Old 12-03-2015, 12:33 PM
Spike

No problem buddy. If you see something you have a question feel free to message me and I'll look at it too and see what I can tell you. As long as it's not my hunting spot lol just jokin
Old 12-03-2015, 02:23 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Boosted
No problem buddy. If you see something you have a question feel free to message me and I'll look at it too and see what I can tell you. As long as it's not my hunting spot lol just jokin
Haha! Ok! You mentioned how palmettos can be deceiving on the maps...you aren't lying!
I have one spot picked out but no back ups. I'll be on looking through tonight and tomorrow...at work.
Old 12-03-2015, 03:27 PM
Spike

Yeah they really are. Pissed me off a few times thinking I found some good spots only to get there and cant see 30 yards in front of me.