Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > South
Hogs in Tennessee >

Hogs in Tennessee

Community
South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

Hogs in Tennessee

Old 09-11-2015, 11:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

I heard that Tennessee also has a coyote problem down there. One farm had two of its prized show horses that were killed by the coyotes. Coyotes love to prey on deer fawns.

A shooter is going to try to hunt the yotes down there in Tennessee, but he told me about the dangers of encountering a wild hog in the bush.

Last edited by Erno86; 09-11-2015 at 11:42 AM.
Old 09-12-2015, 07:29 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Erno86
I heard that Tennessee also has a coyote problem down there. One farm had two of its prized show horses that were killed by the coyotes. Coyotes love to prey on deer fawns.

A shooter is going to try to hunt the yotes down there in Tennessee, but he told me about the dangers of encountering a wild hog in the bush.
Ya I'm not totally sure of the present hog population(again I haven't heard of much in mid TN and other parts of TN although I don't go to the other parts much.

But ya the coyote season is year-round no limit in TN. So obviously they're plentiful here. At our place you should hear them every night if you go outside. We've even lost chickens to them at least ounce.
Old 09-12-2015, 07:15 PM
Spike

im in macon county just west of overton county about 30-45 mins, hogs here are spotty according to where u live in the county, my neighbor has killed 2 an a couple of my coon hunting friends have killed one but iv never seen one while hunting, I don't think they are populated enough to to get a lease if u are strictly after hogs id deer hunt an u might luck up and see a hog lol, they used to be a lot of em in the Crossville/Catoosa area but im not sure if they still are. good luck, and yes coyotes are horrible here and and bobcat numbers are on the rise also, we have also had some bear sightings in the county this summer

Last edited by JLankford4; 09-12-2015 at 07:18 PM.
Old 09-13-2015, 05:55 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by JLankford4
im in macon county just west of overton county about 30-45 mins, hogs here are spotty according to where u live in the county, my neighbor has killed 2 an a couple of my coon hunting friends have killed one but iv never seen one while hunting, I don't think they are populated enough to to get a lease if u are strictly after hogs id deer hunt an u might luck up and see a hog lol, they used to be a lot of em in the Crossville/Catoosa area but im not sure if they still are. good luck, and yes coyotes are horrible here and and bobcat numbers are on the rise also, we have also had some bear sightings in the county this summer
Wow, never seen them here.
Old 09-15-2015, 08:19 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Erno86

To prove the point. Got these pics on the trail cam. Day is one day off. Although I did just cut back there so that may add to the activity.

Old 09-15-2015, 06:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by JLankford4
I grew up just east of Crossville and hunting Catoosa WMA for many years. It was one of the first reserves to actually think it was a good idea to release Russians to interbreed with the ferals that were already there. But years ago they had an actual "season" for them there. That didn't take very long to change from a 3 week to a 3 month season. Not sure when it went to year round but I know I used to take a lot of hogs from that WMA with a LOT of Russian genes. Killed quite a few that looked dang near pure bred Ruskies. Mean suckers ACTED pure bred too! Me and a tree became close personal friends more than once I'll tell ya THAT much
Old 10-17-2015, 09:26 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by super_hunt54
I grew up just east of Crossville and hunting Catoosa WMA for many years. It was one of the first reserves to actually think it was a good idea to release Russians to interbreed with the ferals that were already there. But years ago they had an actual "season" for them there. That didn't take very long to change from a 3 week to a 3 month season. Not sure when it went to year round but I know I used to take a lot of hogs from that WMA with a LOT of Russian genes. Killed quite a few that looked dang near pure bred Ruskies. Mean suckers ACTED pure bred too! Me and a tree became close personal friends more than once I'll tell ya THAT much
Hogs can still only be taken during the regularly scheduled hunts on Catoosa Wma. They cannot be hunted year round there.
Old 10-17-2015, 10:06 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by ddlyrfl
The place I'm looking at is in Overton county. I read that the laws were changed in that county and a few others have been adjusted to allow dogs to hunt them down. I'm guessing that means they are pretty bad there?
I used to hunt a lease in Overton cnty. There are some good deer populations there. The place I hunted lay'd like a lot of the rest of the plateau topography. A lot of bluffs with flat areas on the top and gorges with creeks at the bottom.

There are hogs to go along with the deer, as well as an abundance of copperheads and rattle snakes. TN has changed the classification of hog from a management game animal to the invasive species list.
That means that the land owner can put you on his feral hog extermination list to help eradicate hogs by dang near any means necessary (up to 10 people). That opens up an almost unlimited means of year round killing strategies directed towards them.
Old 10-18-2015, 04:13 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by super_hunt54
Yes, pure bred isn't always the best, is it.
Old 10-18-2015, 11:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by rodre01
Yes, pure bred isn't always the best, is it.
Nope. Them Russians are some aggressive suckers. Even the sows are meaner than a molting rattler.