Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > South
Greenswamp wma hunters >

Greenswamp wma hunters

South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

Greenswamp wma hunters

Old 11-01-2012, 08:13 PM
  #81  
Spike
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 17
Default

I have tried both - setup on trails inside the Bayhead and on the edges as well. Also I have setup on some "funnel" strips going between bayheads. This is my first season so I've kinda been all over the place trying different spots. I have been just pushing through on my way to the stand as well, but I can't shake the feeling that I'm probably pushing deer/hogs out of the area by making too much noise. Not even seeing anything is getting pretty frustrating - then I see the game board on the way out and it makes me feel a little better. Thank you by the way, for helping me out.
bnccna2 is offline  
Old 11-02-2012, 02:53 AM
  #82  
Fork Horn
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 111
Default

Woods. There's lots of game in Croom. You'll have fun. I may do an afternoon hunt in Croom on the 16th after I put up a stand in GS.

Bnccna. Have you tried a different area ? Are you Hunting where you can see other Hunters ? If so, move to an area where your all alone. Look at what your hunting in and go to a place that has different landscape. IMO bay heads are nasty and wet. Deer go to hide in them. They don't live or eat in them. Go find a more open area. Oaks,Pines. When you go to your tree, you should be able to walk down a trail somewhat close to where your spot is. I figure maybe 50 yards of walking through brush to get to the tree stand. I can't give you all my dirty little secrets but look for a PM.
Also. Just wait until they start to Rut and they'll be all over the place. I have a stand out there that's been there for 4 years and I bet no one walks that far to even have seen it.

Last edited by daleintampa; 11-02-2012 at 03:24 AM.
daleintampa is offline  
Old 11-02-2012, 09:06 AM
  #83  
Fork Horn
Thread Starter
 
I AM THE WOODS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: THE BOONEDOCKS
Posts: 454
Default

Originally Posted by daleintampa View Post
Woods. There's lots of game in Croom. You'll have fun. I may do an afternoon hunt in Croom on the 16th after I put up a stand in GS.

Bnccna. Have you tried a different area ? Are you Hunting where you can see other Hunters ? If so, move to an area where your all alone. Look at what your hunting in and go to a place that has different landscape. IMO bay heads are nasty and wet. Deer go to hide in them. They don't live or eat in them. Go find a more open area. Oaks,Pines. When you go to your tree, you should be able to walk down a trail somewhat close to where your spot is. I figure maybe 50 yards of walking through brush to get to the tree stand. I can't give you all my dirty little secrets but look for a PM.
Also. Just wait until they start to Rut and they'll be all over the place. I have a stand out there that's been there for 4 years and I bet no one walks that far to even have seen it.
Yea Croom has a lotta deer i have yet to score in there...gonna try to make it happen this year...about the bayheads dale...depends on the bayhead...i have seen deer feed inside bayheads before...
I AM THE WOODS is offline  
Old 11-02-2012, 11:16 AM
  #84  
Fork Horn
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 111
Default

Originally Posted by I AM THE WOODS View Post
Yea Croom has a lotta deer i have yet to score in there...gonna try to make it happen this year...about the bayheads dale...depends on the bayhead...i have seen deer feed inside bayheads before...
In my head I meant the heads that are swamped out but didn't mention it. Your right. That's why GS is so difficult to hunt cuz they have food all over. And they don't need to move much to eat. Hopefully the Rut will get em going.
Just talked to my cousin and he said Croom had been hit hard by Coyotes. So if you see em shoot em.
daleintampa is offline  
Old 11-02-2012, 07:12 PM
  #85  
Spike
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 17
Default

Thank you for the advice - I really appreciate it. Dale, didn't get a PM, not sure if you sent one. Good luck to everyone out there this weekend!
bnccna2 is offline  
Old 11-06-2012, 03:19 AM
  #86  
Spike
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 6
Default

When really does the rut happen for GS? I have heard it starts late Nov, I have heard late Dec and I have heard it doesnt even start until Feb? I see the bio maps all say late Dec to Feb and that GS area is completely different from the other areas in the surrounding. Anyone have any idea or true dates? How is the water levels now? Havent been since opening day and it wasterrible trying to get to the stand.
jfilmore is offline  
Old 11-06-2012, 09:07 AM
  #87  
Spike
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 36
Default

Last year I shot a buck that was in rut December 1. They shot about 5 bucks that day. They didn't start getting a lot of bucks again until January. I believe that is the time when the majority of deer go into rut.
Luv2KilFish is offline  
Old 11-08-2012, 01:48 PM
  #88  
Fork Horn
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 111
Default

Ok so has any of you Archery guys seen any Bucks so far ? This thread sure has been quiet. who's Hunting this weekend ?

Last edited by daleintampa; 11-13-2012 at 06:57 PM.
daleintampa is offline  
Old 11-13-2012, 07:42 PM
  #89  
Fork Horn
Thread Starter
 
I AM THE WOODS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: THE BOONEDOCKS
Posts: 454
Default

Originally Posted by daleintampa View Post
Ok so has any of you Archery guys seen any Bucks so far ? This thread sure has been quiet. who's Hunting this weekend ?
Seen a small 4 point openin day of archery
I AM THE WOODS is offline  
Old 11-13-2012, 07:50 PM
  #90  
Fork Horn
Thread Starter
 
I AM THE WOODS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: THE BOONEDOCKS
Posts: 454
Default

I have hunted croom a couple of the first nine days with a buddy...just seen a few does...they got 35 bucks in the first nine...coyotes are takin over in there i found two 7 point buck skulls with piles of other bones...i beleive coyotes mighta got to em...when we were out there my buddy seen several cyotes chasin a rabbit...aint lookin good...i remember when i was younger croom would have 80+ bucks killed in the first nine...sad to see...ready for saturday to get out in the swamp early...hopefully will get a shot off at somethin
I AM THE WOODS is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.