Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > South
Greenswamp wma hunters >

Greenswamp wma hunters

Community
South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

Greenswamp wma hunters

Old 01-22-2016, 12:08 PM
Spike

I've been hunting out at green swamp for about 6 years so I know that any legal game is a trophey out there! There are some studs hidden in there though. The 6 pt was my second green swamp buck, the list will continue to grow lol.. I couldn't quite figure out how to attach photos
Old 01-22-2016, 05:26 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by lvflkid
I've been hunting out at green swamp for about 6 years so I know that any legal game is a trophey out there! There are some studs hidden in there though. The 6 pt was my second green swamp buck, the list will continue to grow lol.. I couldn't quite figure out how to attach photos
Good deal...it's always an accomplishment to drop a GS buck...keep it up
Old 01-22-2016, 05:28 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by NY2FL
Got out of work early yesterday morning and decided to pack up and head out. Got there around 7:00 a.m. and sat down until around 10. I was getting a little cold and started falling asleep but I could have swore I saw a hog trot across the swamp. Got up and decided to investigate. I got up to a small clearing that the hogs ripped up and stood there for a couple of seconds when I heard what sounded like trickling water. Quickly walked the 40 yards to where I heard it and a pig had just been rooting around and was walking back into the swamp!

I decided to try grunting at it and it stopped in the water but it was so thick in there I couldn't see anything. Ran all the way back around and through the swamp trying to get to the other side of the thicket knowing he had to still be in there. Made my way under the brush when I had heard some birds fly up to the left of me and something making its way through the water again. After moving toward the sound and seeing the fresh tracks that the hog just left I ended up at another thick part of the swamp where I couldn't see more than a foot in front of me. All of a sudden a growl and I hear the bush shaking. The hog's no more than 5 yards in front of me at this point but I can't see him. He's standing his ground grunting and growling at me and I fully expected him to charge at me so I just held my ground too with my gun ready. All of a sudden I hear him take off on the other side of the brush grunting as he runs further into the swamp.

Never actually saw him and never heard anything from it again. It was a great day nonetheless and got my blood pumping for sure!
Hogs can be nasty...been charged by boars on a couple occasions...the reason I carry a 45 colt revolver when I'm hoggin
Old 01-23-2016, 04:16 AM
Dominant Buck

FLKID...put your photo on your photo albums..and from there I copy and paste the link..

you get to your photo album by first clicking on USER CP upper left hand corner of this site.

Next ..click on pictures and photo album..

After the pic is loaded..you can copy and paste the link...
Old 01-23-2016, 05:23 AM
Dominant Buck

QUESTION..for hunting small game at Green Swamp...only the 471 enttrance is open..Is the entire Green Swamp opened for hunting or like it was a few years ago,,only part of it opened?

Thx...good time to scout for turkey
Old 01-23-2016, 05:32 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Chuck7
QUESTION..for hunting small game at Green Swamp...only the 471 enttrance is open..Is the entire Green Swamp opened for hunting or like it was a few years ago,,only part of it opened?

Thx...good time to scout for turkey
Should all be open Chuck...yup I think I'm gonna put some cams out durin small game...see what survived the season
Old 01-23-2016, 06:19 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Chuck7
NY2FL,,,like your hog story..they can be quite aggressive..If I see a boar..I won't shoot it. I only shoot females from 60-120 pounds..Have not seen a hog in 2 years..I did hear the pidder padder of one 2 hunts ago walking through water about 5:30 AM.
If what I saw before I started the chase was actually the hog trotting across the swamp then I'd say it was about 100-120 pounder. I've never gotten a hog before so I'd take either a boar or a sow. When I was turkey hunting last year I saw 8 of them on the side of the road rooting in some water and they were all monsters. Wish they were in season during all hunting seasons.
Old 01-23-2016, 06:22 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by I AM THE WOODS
Hogs can be nasty...been charged by boars on a couple occasions...the reason I carry a 45 colt revolver when I'm hoggin
I've got a 357 revolver I carry with me. The other day trying to weave through thick brush it was getting hung up on the hanging vines. And if it wasn't the revolver it was my shotgun. Made for a sketchy situation when I realized how close it was to me haha.
Old 01-23-2016, 07:53 AM
Dominant Buck

Twice when I shot a female..the male followed me and was growling the entire way..but kept out of site. ..I saw one once that would have gone 400 pounds easy..on private property..
Old 01-23-2016, 11:35 AM
Dominant Buck

Little Green Swamp fact..and a reason why it a little difficult to hunt, The Green Swamp East tract is 50, 672 acres..do you know how many square miles that is Laugh Out Loud

79 Square Miles...like looking for a needle in a hay stack..

I mostly see ONE deer..per year..you better make that count. I'm a meat hunter..a 10 inch spike or 12 point Boone and Crocket...makes no difference to me. Last year...I had one sneak behind me..nice 6 point..I was armed with 00 Buck..and the Spirit says in me..don't let that deer get away..lol..I couldn't even shoulder the shot gun..I'm facing north ok..the deer is moving south west and in heavy cover.behind me..15 yds away..tops...I simply pointed the barrel at him..prayed God would make it happen..and POW! about 9 pellets in the head and 2 in the neck..Down..and in 30 seconds exasperated. But that is Green Swamp hunting..you don't see a bunch of deer.

Another story...The deer in the avatar..I waited from 5:00 AM till 5:15 PM..and the Spirit screams in my ear FREEZE!! as the buck is looking right at me 100 yds away. my 270 rifle shaking as I'm holding it with one hand deciding how to shoulder it..he was at my extreme right..and he disappeared..CRAP!!! I thought..he's gone..I still felt the admonition to FREEZE..DON'T MOVE..so I statued up..15 long minutes later he is 50 yds in front of me..head hidden behind a bush and eatting grass..POW! 270 does the job..EXASPERATED ON CONTACT..Happy Camper/.

Little advice for new hunters...Zero your rifles in at 25 yds..no matter what distance you plan to hunt..I lost a beauty in the Green Swamp when I zeroed it in at 100 yds..At 100 yds your gun shoots 4 inches low at close range..BUMMER..I had one at 10 yds..missed a gorgeous massy 8 point..The range master smiled and said..yes sir..you shot 4 inches low. DANG!! I goggled it..and yep..that is correct. SO I went and rescoped all my rifles.

Last edited by Chuck7; 01-23-2016 at 11:44 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.