Weeds in food plot! Needs help! ASAP >

Weeds in food plot! Needs help! ASAP

Community
South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

Weeds in food plot! Needs help! ASAP

Old 08-16-2012, 05:54 PM
Spike

Default Weeds in food plot! Needs help! ASAP

I'm getting ready to plant a food plot and there is weeds in the area where I'm getting ready to plant. If I spray round up on these weeds will the seeds grow when I put them out? Or is there another alternative to this situation?
Thanks,
Robert
Old 08-17-2012, 08:27 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Deerhunter44
I'm getting ready to plant a food plot and there is weeds in the area where I'm getting ready to plant. If I spray round up on these weeds will the seeds grow when I put them out? Or is there another alternative to this situation?
Thanks,
Robert
Wairt a couple of weeks. Your seeds will grow just fine.

You will always have weeds. Consider using a selective herbicide--somethng that kills only grasses or broadleaf weeds. Whitetail Institute's Slay kills broadleafs, but not clover, so yo can use it to kill weeds in clover.
Old 08-18-2012, 07:09 AM
Fork Horn

Go to your local Co-op farm supply, tell them what you have planted and they will give you a selective herbicide that will kill the weeds and not your food plot.
Old 08-23-2012, 10:16 AM
Fork Horn

spray it, wait, plant. round up kills everything it touches so if you plant it too early it will kill them
Old 08-23-2012, 03:41 PM
Spike

I agree with all the other posters. I recommend mowing first. Spray as weeds start to grow back in a few days. This has been most effective for me. You also need a couple of days w/o rain for it to work best. Round Up is good, but sometimes won't kill thick woody stalk weeds like dog fennel. I took several types of weeds in a plot I had that kept growing back quickly to the store. Once identified I got a different chemical that killed those out. Make sure you get a quality sprayer that has a good pattern.