FL Hunting tips/advice/info >

FL Hunting tips/advice/info

Community
South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

FL Hunting tips/advice/info

Old 07-09-2012, 12:39 PM
Spike

Question FL Hunting tips/advice/info

So after a long break from hunting last year I took the trek to my wife's family farm in Wisconsin for opening day of general gun where I once again got bit by the Hunting Bug. The bug bit me so hard that I bought an out of state license and harvested a doe with a 95 yard shot from a borrowed shotgun, and still made it in in time for thanksgiving dinner. This year is my return to hunting, I have never hunted since moving to FL. Hopefully you guys can give me some good tips, advice, and info about hunting in FL. I realized that as I waited to make my announcement of my return to hunting I missed phase I applications for quota hunts, but Phase II deadline is this week and I will be looking at Phase I reults tomorrow morning to try to figure out what is still available. I live in Apopka which is in the central region of the state, so I am looking for some WMA's that are close to me. I can't wait to get back out there this year! As I have experienced most of my life that hunting is a close knit community any advice on WMA's, gear, etc. would be greatly appreciated!!
Old 07-13-2012, 12:48 PM
Fork Horn

Well get ready for a challenge...its a whole different ball game down here...lot thicker woods less deer and more huntin pressure on wmas. To take a buck off of public land takes a lotta hard work. And by goin by statewide harvest data of wmas if ya get ya a buck it means bein in the top 2% of hunters state wide or gettin real lucky...Good luck to ya...
Old 07-13-2012, 02:18 PM
Spike

For down in Apopka it may be different, but on the WMAs in the Panhandle is to find places where trails meet, such as creek bottoms, find the trail that is going between good food and cover and sit just off it. you'll have to sit longer then you wood up North while hunting and be dead quit cause public land deer are extremely spooky.

In large area swamps (hundreds-thousands of acres) find the highest or clearest ground with food deer like to step from the brush to relax.

If you are willing to run dogs, it can work if you spend hours and hours chasing deer. It's not as easy as people think 95% of the time your dogs will chase does which you cant kill.

As for private land that can vary large amounts over each parcel, and even vary on the same piece of land.

If you have any other questions ask away ill help you the best i can.