Question for Texas guys >

Question for Texas guys

Community
South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

Question for Texas guys

Old 11-20-2011, 06:42 AM
Spike

Default Question for Texas guys

I have a friend who's wife owns property he and I can potentially hunt near Rungee TX. According to maps I have looked at this is Karne county about halfway between San Antonio and Corpus Christi.

My question what species is the area good for? The property is mostly sendero (don't know if I spelled that right). I imgine it is good for deer and javilina. Are there regular big ass hog there as well? I am trying to motivate him to go there with me for a pistol javilina hunt, but I don't want to run across a feral hog with only a .357 mag.

Also how is that area for turkeys. I believe they have the Rio Grande sub species there.
Old 11-20-2011, 12:02 PM
Fork Horn

Never hunted that area of Texas but if you can hit a little ole javelina in the kill zone with that .357 I wouldn't worry about shooting a big hog if it is that close just shoot it in the head which will be about the same size as the kill zone on that javelina. But I would think (based on the sendero comment) they would have whitetail, javelina, and hogs. You might plan on shooting some hogs along with the javelinas with that pistol it should get it done just so long as you aren't shooting at a 350+ lbs boar and if you do just shoot it in the head. You will probably see more of the 100-200 lbs hogs which that .357 will be plenty big for just so long as you are close enough. Heck you might even see exotics. With all of the fires down here this year who knows what you might see that escaped from a high fence exotic ranch. And they should have turkeys which would be the rio variety.
Good luck with your adventure and I hope you have fun and be sure to shoot them hogs up if the opportunity shows itself.
P.S. Watch out for snakes if you come down when it is hot.
Old 11-21-2011, 01:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

7.62nato. Really?
Old 11-21-2011, 03:08 PM
Fork Horn

feral hogs arnt anything special all these people have been watching to much TV. I've yet to see a hog actually try to attack someone and I've been around them a lot. It's one thing if you got one bayed up with a dog and it's getting mean but chances are just walking around in the woods even the meanest nastiest hog you come across isn't going to be of any threat.

FWIW they have small game season here that starts friday for hogs I'll be carrying my .22LR lol... who needs a .357....