Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > South
Big Woods WMA in VA >

Big Woods WMA in VA

South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

Big Woods WMA in VA

Old 11-15-2011, 08:42 AM
Fork Horn

Default Big Woods WMA in VA

has anyone been out to the Big Woods this year? just wondering how it was out there and if anyone has had any luck
Old 11-15-2011, 08:43 AM
Fork Horn

delete this please, computer froze and posted 3 times
Old 11-17-2011, 10:08 AM
Spike

Haven't yet, but do plan to go, although the DGIF's forecast for quail at the moment was apparently "poor". I believe they created it partly to manage bobwhite populations for hunting if I'm not mistaken. Will be Whitetail hunting this Saturday on opening day, at the Phelps.
Old 11-17-2011, 10:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

IIRC,this is the one me and a friend went to 3 wks. ago.In Sussex county.We drove the perimeter.The acreage is around 2,000 or so.It looks so much bigger the way it is layed out.The terrain is mixed w/heavy brush in many places.What's great about this area is the fact there is a state forest right next to it.A map at the entrance shows the state forest land is similar in size.We spoke to a local and they said turkey in the area was great.I'd guess the same for deer as there are many farms close by.We should be going,
perhaps,this weekend.Might see you there.This place looks promising.It should spark your drive.

Last edited by Game Stalker; 11-18-2015 at 02:19 AM. Reason: location correction
Old 11-21-2011, 05:12 PM
Spike

Spent some time at Big Woods on the WMA side of the house and didnt see a deer. About 10 hunters total today and heard one shot. I did see 6 turkeys strolling along. Was my first time going to BW.
Old 11-22-2011, 12:37 PM
Spike

Good report. Might be worth it for the turkey alone.
Old 11-25-2011, 12:36 PM
dep
Spike

Talking Great hunting

I found out about Big Woods WMA only this year. I have been out there 4 times and have killed 4 deer. 2 with bow 1 with muzzle loader and one the 1st day of gun season. The place is eat up with deer and turkey and I have seen a few quail. What I realy like is if you are a real hunter and can hunt deer without the dogs running them to death this is the place. I have not seen any clubs out there trying to take over.
Good Hunting
Old 11-28-2011, 09:57 AM
Spike

Good report Dep. I plan to go this Monday (got that day off). I think it might be worth the drive for me. The draw for me is the turkey, deer and quail.
Old 12-01-2011, 05:18 PM
dep
Spike

Update on Big Woods bagged a 10 pointer on Saturday
Old 12-02-2011, 09:24 AM
Spike

Dude! Incredible, and congratulations. I'll be heading there Monday. Hope for at least something.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.