Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > South
Virginia rut?? >

Virginia rut??

Community
South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

Virginia rut??

Old 10-28-2011, 12:04 PM
Spike

Has been very slow in Tidewater and spent all of last Saturday in the stand on the eastern shore up by the MD border. Zero sightings on Saturday and and the week prior just a doe and a couple of fawns.
Old 10-29-2011, 06:23 AM
Typical Buck

I went hunting friday with friend who is a beginner. I didn't see squat but he saw a buck chasing a doe around all morning. He had my crossbow and I told him not to shoot beyond 30 yds, he said they were between 60 and 100 yds, and he had about 15 sightings of them over the course of three hours.

From what he described it sounded like they were paired up all morning, and then bedding down near each other. We were texting each other, and after a few hours I snuck in to try to call them in because he didn't have a call. I let out a few doe bleats and heard them come towards us, and then I heard the buck grunt about four times. It was the first time I've ever heard real deer vocalizations, so it was really cool. It also means that I know he wasn't pulling my chain about what he was seeing.

So anyway, point being that this is the first sign of chasing/rutting I've hear of. Hopefully the weather is good next week, I may take a few days off.
Old 10-29-2011, 11:24 AM
Fork Horn

Yeah I think the big deer will be chasing and rutting this week with the colder air moving in and it's suppose to be a nice week
Old 10-29-2011, 11:30 AM
Fork Horn

I don't think the rut is in full swing meaning the seeking and chasing phase I looked at my D&DH rut calendar and it is right in line with this weekend Nov 5th as being the start of prime time seeking phase and into late next week with harcore chasing I have seen alot of scrapes and little bucks but the big bucks have not "all" started to seek and chase during daylight accept for a few as you Stonewall and his buddy have experianced Friday but they defiantly are moving alot more during daylight which means its going to get really exciting this week into next Good Luck everyone
Old 10-29-2011, 05:06 PM
Spike

haven't been out bowhunting this year , but this week i have been out in my stand watching as well glasing some cutovers here in Bedford Cty........notice twice today 2 different bucks doing alittle chasing, seeing quite a few rubs an scrapes......middle of next week should be smoking, as long as the days/nights stay cold......good luck guys an more important be safe..
Old 10-30-2011, 05:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

The last few years I have tried planning hunting days during November with the aid of Charles Alsheimer's rut predictions. As many of you know, he is a field editor for Deer and Deer Hunting magazine and uses the moon phases to help calculate the rut. According to him, the "don't miss" hunting days for 2011 are from November 10th through November 18th.

If I did not need money, I would take the last week of October and hunt until the second week in December every year!

Last edited by VAhuntr; 10-30-2011 at 05:32 AM.
Old 11-01-2011, 03:46 PM
Fork Horn

I agree I purchased the 2011 rut calendar from D & DH website and it say that the "can't miss" time would start Nov 5th with hard seeking and go through Nov 18th in the chasing phase if that is correct there will be alot of big bucks killed becuase that will roll into gun season in most areas Muzzleloader and the first day's of Shotgun that works for me I rather have gun in my hand then a bow even though I love bow hunting and less hunters in the woods I have not seen much deer movement it's like they are hiding unti right before the rut I honestly think the deer in pressured areas like Quantico are not going to move much therefore you have to find there core area in a year like this year when acorns are in specific areas
Old 11-01-2011, 04:39 PM
Spike

It has been a very slow rut so far. I have not been seeing the deer movement like I typically do for this time of year. I have to agree the rut is going to be a little later this year. In the next week to week and a half it should get heated up!
Old 11-02-2011, 06:07 AM
Spike

The Rut has begun where I am in Spotsylvania Va. My buddy and me almost hit bucks two nights apart in different areas. The one I saw was last night and he ran across road nose down and lept into field and began to search the area for does. He was a nice 8 pointer and thick. My buddy hunted last evening and had a spike follow his estreous drag line to his stand. He said he was walking by and smelled drag and made a bee line to him.

So get ready boys the fun is about to begin!
Old 11-02-2011, 06:21 AM
Typical Buck

With the hard frosts we have had the past three days it should get the deer moving. I have not seen many deer getting hit on I-95, which is always an indicator to me when they really start searching. After not seeing much this archery season I am ready to put the Xbow down and blow some smoke with the BP. Saturday is supposed to be sunny with highs in the upper fifties. Good luck to you all.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.