Virginia rut??

Community
South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

Virginia rut??

Old 11-17-2011, 03:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by ADVWannabee
I hunt near Burnt Chimney.

My dad had a great aunt that lived in Burnt Chimney. I remember going to visit her many years ago as a kid. I don't get up that way much anymore but would love to buy some property in the Moneta area. Beautiful area with some great deer hunting.

Last edited by VAhuntr; 11-17-2011 at 03:35 AM.
Old 11-17-2011, 04:44 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by VAhuntr
I asked her how big it was and she said, "like those you put on the wall!"

LOL! That's pretty much the same way my wife gauges them too! I have a great feeling about this afternoon and tomorrow. They HAVE to be moving later today.

VA
Old 11-17-2011, 05:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by VA5326
LOL! That's pretty much the same way my wife gauges them too! I have a great feeling about this afternoon and tomorrow. They HAVE to be moving later today.

VA
Thats what I am thinking as well.
Old 11-17-2011, 06:56 AM
Fork Horn

Default hunting

I dont know about you guys but I'm gonna be in the stand as soon as this weather clears out today. The milder temps kinda slowed things down here the last few days. I imagine this major temp drop will fire things up.

VA
are you bp hunting in Fluvanna? have you ran into buck yet? let see your pics when you get back. good luck

o2be
Old 11-17-2011, 10:24 AM
Typical Buck

I dont know about you guys but I'm gonna be in the stand as soon as this weather clears out today. The milder temps kinda slowed things down here the last few days. I imagine this major temp drop will fire things up.

VA

I'm sitting all day tomorrow. I'll have my crossbow, since I don't yet own a muzzleloader. The temp high is supposed to be 47, with a low of 30 tonight.

In my area, once the rifle season starts everyone and their brother is in the woods.
Old 11-17-2011, 06:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Took this 6 pointer this afternoon. Saw a total of 5 deer this afternoon between 1pm and 4:30pm. Got a glimpse of a really nice buck crossing over a ridge. This buck was running in to investigate a small 4 pointer running a doe all over the ridge.

Old 11-18-2011, 12:40 PM
Spike

Nice buck there VAhuntr..........hard to tell in the pic, but what do you think he weighs?.....body looks pretty big..
Old 11-18-2011, 06:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

That is a dandy 6pt! You are having a good season

For me where I live, today was the first rut sign I have seen this year. Had a small buck come chasing a doe grunting, then right at dark a basket 8 came down the same trail (about an hour later). I have yet to see a scrape, hardly any rubs, and the lowest deer sightings I've ever had here in 14yrs. I'm hoping it was the moon messing them up. Typically the first two weeks of Nov are awesome here. I guess maybe its late this year. I'm hoping it will be hot tomorrow.
Old 11-19-2011, 03:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by WV Hunter
That is a dandy 6pt! You are having a good season

For me where I live, today was the first rut sign I have seen this year. Had a small buck come chasing a doe grunting, then right at dark a basket 8 came down the same trail (about an hour later). I have yet to see a scrape, hardly any rubs, and the lowest deer sightings I've ever had here in 14yrs. I'm hoping it was the moon messing them up. Typically the first two weeks of Nov are awesome here. I guess maybe its late this year. I'm hoping it will be hot tomorrow.

Good luck and safe hunting! I will be missing opening morning due to be on call, however I may slip out this afternoon! I have been very fortunate this year and hope to fill my third buck tag next week as I'm off from Thanksgiving until December 3rd. If I don't I will probably use it on a doe in the late blackpowder season.