Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > South
Sunday Hunting in Virginia - Op-ed Piece >

Sunday Hunting in Virginia - Op-ed Piece

Community
South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

Sunday Hunting in Virginia - Op-ed Piece

Old 11-19-2011, 04:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

I see it as a problem with the hunter who fired his weapon without knowing what was beyond it.

edited to add:

In my rural area of the state people shoot guns every day of the week. I'm also sure there have been those who have shot deer on Sunday illegally. So the threat of something happening on Sunday is still a possibility.

To me, it is kind of like blaming the fast food industry for people being overweight or blaming the alcohol industry for people drunk driving.

Last edited by VAhuntr; 11-20-2011 at 04:01 AM.
Old 11-20-2011, 11:58 AM
Spike

I totally agree with you on that point, you must admit that the percentage of the possibility of it happening should be much lower due to the fact that it is illegal to hunt on Sunday. And yes i agree the blame is totally on the hunter, but I was just stating that no matter what we both agree that there is a more hunters on the road on Saturday then there is Sunday thats just a fact, so the possibility of that idiot hunter that ruins things for the many great hunters is less on Sunday.
From what i experience in the area I hunt, there would be a much greater support for the Sunday hunting from non hunters that I know if the use of Dogs was not allowed on that Day. "not trying to get into the dog hunting debate though lol" Honestly I truly believe there would be more support from the general public if there were some guidelines set in there. It is very large problem in my area with men parked on the side of the road, leaving there truck half way in the road, and yes shooting from the road. Honestly maybe this would be my biggest problem with Sunday hunting. There are some great hunt clubs in this area that obey the rules, and avoid doing the things I said, but man there are more clubs that don't then do around here which is sad.

The saddest part of the whole thing is that we have to leave it up to politicians to decide pretty much every aspect of our life and the fact is they are all going with whom lines there pocket with the most money. Not what helps there region or states economy. Do our elected officials really represent us?
Old 11-21-2011, 11:35 AM
Typical Buck

Sounds to me like, in your area of the state, there are a lot of laws being broken by some very questionable "hunters". It sounds like that a law enforcement officer should eb called if vehicles are blocking the road and they are shooting from the road. If this is true then they are not hunters but lawbreakers and should be handled accordingly. I can honestly say that the dog issue should not be a problem because in may states that allow Sunday Hunting they also allow dog Hunting. Why do these states not have these kind of problems. No one seems to be able to show why it will be a problem here when it is not a problem anywhere else. Lawbreakers should e dealt with accordinly and then they will not be a problem anymore. Hunters should be allowed to practice their sport 7 days a week like any other state sponsored and price charged group is allowed to. Please show any other form of recreation that the state charges a fee for that is not allowed on all seven days of the week? Sorry but you can not do that.

Here it is in a nutshell:

a. Anyone can shoot a gun on Sunday
b. Anyone can eat venison on Sunday.
c. No one can shoot a deer to eat venison on Sunday.

Why does this sound irrational?
Old 11-21-2011, 02:54 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by vapahunter
Sounds to me like, in your area of the state, there are a lot of laws being broken by some very questionable "hunters". It sounds like that a law enforcement officer should eb called if vehicles are blocking the road and they are shooting from the road. If this is true then they are not hunters but lawbreakers and should be handled accordingly. I can honestly say that the dog issue should not be a problem because in may states that allow Sunday Hunting they also allow dog Hunting. Why do these states not have these kind of problems. No one seems to be able to show why it will be a problem here when it is not a problem anywhere else. Lawbreakers should e dealt with accordinly and then they will not be a problem anymore. Hunters should be allowed to practice their sport 7 days a week like any other state sponsored and price charged group is allowed to. Please show any other form of recreation that the state charges a fee for that is not allowed on all seven days of the week? Sorry but you can not do that.

Here it is in a nutshell:

a. Anyone can shoot a gun on Sunday
b. Anyone can eat venison on Sunday.
c. No one can shoot a deer to eat venison on Sunday.

Why does this sound irrational?
Lol the law man around here is a joke. I don't think i stated that anything about hunting on Sunday was irrational. And the state charges to turkey hunt but limits the hours i can hunt them, then should we also see if we can get the 12noon ban lifted? I'm going to end my posting here, if Sunday hunting was allowed I would completely support it, if Sunday hunting stays unallowed then once again I would support that too. Hunting isn't a right so I enjoy the privilege that i have, sadly there are terrible hunters that make all of you guys that follow the laws pay for the minority's mistakes.

Either way guys God Bless, stay safe out there and have a great season
Old 11-21-2011, 03:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by argunrunner
Lol the law man around here is a joke. I don't think i stated that anything about hunting on Sunday was irrational. And the state charges to turkey hunt but limits the hours i can hunt them, then should we also see if we can get the 12noon ban lifted? I'm going to end my posting here, if Sunday hunting was allowed I would completely support it, if Sunday hunting stays unallowed then once again I would support that too. Hunting isn't a right so I enjoy the privilege that i have, sadly there are terrible hunters that make all of you guys that follow the laws pay for the minority's mistakes.

Either way guys God Bless, stay safe out there and have a great season
Actually in VA hunting is a right that is defined in Article XI, Section 4 of the Constitution of Virginia.

Here is a link: legis.state.va.us/Laws/search/Constitution.htm

Last edited by VAhuntr; 11-22-2011 at 03:49 AM. Reason: added link
Old 11-22-2011, 05:41 AM
Spike

I stand corrected thanks for the link!