Community
South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

Early rut?

Old 10-05-2011, 05:42 PM
Fork Horn

Default Early rut?

I hunt in the sandhills of NC. I was just wondering if anyone has ever seen a buck chasing a doe this early in the season? I was hunting yesterday and a very nice buck come out and started chasing a doe all over the place. Is this normal ? The rut is usually around Thankgiving here.
Old 10-05-2011, 06:14 PM
Typical Buck

seems like i read something about mature does coming into season a little ahead of the rest that helps kick off the prerut
Old 10-06-2011, 02:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Nope not crazy. I think the same. The cold weather has them moving. I shot an 8pt. 185lbs last night. He came to my mock scrape. You could smell him 30 ft away. His tarsals were black.

My buddy on the same property shot a monster 12 pt that was with 10 does. I think it's gonna be this weekend or next week. It's a coming boys.

Richland county.
Old 10-06-2011, 05:09 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks Guys. I thought that I was losing my mind. Couldn't go today but looking forward to this weekend. Good luck to all.
Old 10-12-2011, 09:40 PM
Spike

Just picked up my cameras this weekend and had a button buck riding a doe on Saturday 10/8/11. Those big boys won't let that go on for long. It's just around the corner....