Sweet Home Alabama >

Sweet Home Alabama

Community
South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

Sweet Home Alabama

Old 08-30-2011, 05:23 PM
Fork Horn

Default Sweet Home Alabama

Hows it lookin for everyone in the Heart of Dixie? Ive been stuck at school in Jackson, Ms the last few weeks and havent to get out to the ole huntin woods lately. Any acorns on the ground or signs of hard horns yet?
Old 09-18-2011, 09:01 AM
Fork Horn

Still seeing velvet here in west Alabama Junky. Gonna head out this afternoon and hang stands. Hopefully find a good acorn crop starting!
Old 10-14-2011, 04:35 AM
Spike

More acorns than in recent years in Elmore Co.
Old 10-14-2011, 06:43 AM
Spike

Default Acorns and Velvet

I have seen velvet on some and hard horns on others, mostly out of velvet at this point though. I have seen the swamp white/ swamp chestnuts dropping. Some red oaks are dropping good, this is where I've seen the most sign under. I have seen rubs under a couple big red oaks this past weekend. Looks like they are hanging out under them and rubbing velvet off, very fresh rubs. Not the full on pre-rut rubbing but some definite sign. I have a lot of luck each year hunting under water oaks, these are not dropping yet that Ive seen, for the most part. I have a oak bottom where it stays wet and these water oaks started dropping last weekend. It looks like someone has been raking under these trees. My strategy opening day is hunting the trail leading from the oak bottoms, where they are dropping, to the water source they are using. Several nice bucks on camera, deer appear to be moving 7-930am, 11-2pm, and 5-730pm. Though this area is practically a wildlife sanctuary the hunting pressure is so low. Share any knowledge you have as well....