SE VA decoy question >

SE VA decoy question

Community
South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

SE VA decoy question

Old 09-27-2011, 06:28 AM
Fork Horn

Default SE VA decoy question

Just wondering how many people use a decoy while still hunting in the se va area or even in va at all? I have been told by people it helps and some people say it doesnt. So i was wondering whats peoples input on here and if you use a decoy what kind of success have you had with it? Im thinking about using a decoy but have never tried so i need some help on when, where, how and what situations to use it in, and wether i should use a buck or doe? I hunt in Ivor and the wakefield area and the land i hunt is all in southampton co. and i cant use a muzzleloader in that county so im looking at another option to get the deer closer to me with a bow, especially during the pre-rut and rut, or just whenever i can in general.
Old 09-29-2011, 10:33 AM
Typical Buck

I've never used one but I am considering it.
Old 09-29-2011, 02:22 PM
Spike

A friend of mine just got one and has a stand on the end of the field that the deer seem to be avoiding. Before you ask why he doesnt move the stand he hunts on side and another hunter has the other. His plan is to put it out Saturday and see if that will convince them to come over to his side of the property. I'll let you know how it goes.
Old 10-01-2011, 06:31 PM
Typical Buck

Default Decoy

Originally Posted by Ohboy
Just wondering how many people use a decoy while still hunting in the se va area or even in va at all? I have been told by people it helps and some people say it doesnt. So i was wondering whats peoples input on here and if you use a decoy what kind of success have you had with it? Im thinking about using a decoy but have never tried so i need some help on when, where, how and what situations to use it in, and wether i should use a buck or doe? I hunt in Ivor and the wakefield area and the land i hunt is all in southampton co. and i cant use a muzzleloader in that county so im looking at another option to get the deer closer to me with a bow, especially during the pre-rut and rut, or just whenever i can in general.
Put antlers on it. It will work!
Old 10-02-2011, 07:09 AM
Fork Horn

mine has the option to be a buck or doe. so i guess you just set the decoy out about 20yds or so and just let it set there? do you have to make doe bleats or buck grunts or just let the other deer make eye contact with it and sit quietly? i hunt all types of terrain and not so positive where would be the best spot to set the decoy? tall pines that have been thin cut, around a swamp edge, near a field edge or on a field edge or on the edge of a pine cutover that meets hardwoods? i may be asking too many questions but like i said this is new to me and would like to try new options.