I got lucky on Quantico >

I got lucky on Quantico

Community
South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

I got lucky on Quantico

Old 10-14-2011, 06:32 AM
Fork Horn

Default I got lucky on Quantico

Went out off Joplin rd Thursday for a scout/Hunt. started the day off around 10:30 wet and raining. Around 2pm I found some oak that had acorns on the ground none dropping and a little sign that deer have been in the area. Set up on a little draw and thought the Deer would be moving now that the rain had stopped. Had some Deer around me just not close enough to see if Doe or Buck most have been a better tree over there. 4pm I start to watch the sky and try to look at radar on the phone and have no luck battery is dieing and service sucks.I try to get my kid to look at it on intellicast and the phone dies (I hate this phone) The last call I made on my phone was at 4:10 By this time it looked like 6pm outside real dark a bad storm to my left (west) and a even worst looking one just south of me. There is now way I am going to make it back to my truck before the sky's open up. The wind is crazy I can hear tree snapping and limbs falling,a down tree becomes my best friend for the next 30 minutes.
When I make it back to the truck I hear that one or two Tornadoes went through the area.
So today with the chance of more bad weather I think it would be better to just stay home.
Old 10-14-2011, 08:58 AM
Typical Buck

In my book, no deer = not lucky. Glad you weren't swept away by a tornado.

I live in the area and I didn't hear about any tornados.
Old 10-14-2011, 10:00 AM
Typical Buck

I think he was trying to say he got lucky that he didn't get swept away by a tornado. I could be wrong though.
Old 10-14-2011, 02:02 PM
Fork Horn

That's what I meant. Stonewall It was all over the news the Tornado cross 95 south lanes went right through Quantico.
Old 10-14-2011, 04:49 PM
Spike

Glad your okay. A couple of years ago I was on the edge of a cornfield in a tree when a thunderstorm with a bunch of lighting came through. After that experiance I'm a lot more careful. I was on my way out last night when I heard about the thunderstorm warnings so I turned around and went home.
Old 10-14-2011, 09:19 PM
Typical Buck

bushanic, I don't doubt you, just saying I didn't hear about it. I hunt near quantico but live a little north of there.

Good luck this weekend.
Old 10-16-2011, 08:18 AM
Spike

I was on 95 Southbound on that day like I am every time I work. I think it was between 4:00-5:00 pm and it was raining so hard and the wind was blowing so bad that the traffic just stopped and didn't move for about 30 min. I went a little farther and got to the first Quantico exit going southbound and a tree had fallen over the road on the ramp leading to Joplin road. The State Police had blocked the ramp and you could clearly see the tree. A couple miles farther up on 95 Southbound there was another tree that had blown over and was blocking the whole left lane. I didn't realize it was a Tornado until I got home. The radio (WTOP) was talking about Tornado warnings in other parts of Westwern Virginia, but never really mentioned too much about the one at Quantico until it was long over. Glad you made it out o.k.