Quantico Shed Hunting >

Quantico Shed Hunting

Community
South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

Quantico Shed Hunting

Old 02-27-2011, 09:02 PM
Fork Horn

Default Quantico Shed Hunting

Just was curious if anyone has found any shed on Quantico yet I been out twice and haven't found anything yet I'm kind of new to shed hunting so I'm guessing March and April will be a good time being that I got trail camera photos with bucks still having there horns any advice on quantico as far as shed hunting would be great thanks.
Old 03-01-2011, 09:28 AM
Fork Horn

I was in Va hunting and I almost went to Quantico shed hunting yesterday but I decided ti drive home instead.I did shed hunt a real good spot last thur but no luck I did find lots of garbage though.
Sat I was hunting in Middleburg on crop damage and I found a spike,5 point,8 point&1 shed antler.We saw lots of deer & none still had antlers.I will be back in 2 weeks and I will definetly will hit Quantico that place is always good for a few last yr in 6 hours I found 11 there.
This yr there was a large mast crop its going to be tough going for shed hunting so the 1st place I would hit hard and probably concentrate most of my time on would be acorn flats and in particuler places where the leaves are kicked up so much its like barren ground.Also any trails comeing & going from the acorn flats.The biggest mistake I see people makeing is walking to fast slow down and trun around often check your back trail you would be suprised at how many you walk by.
Old 03-09-2011, 05:02 PM
Fork Horn

I looked on Quantico today I saw plenty of deer none with any head gear 1st time that I can remember where I did'nt come out with atleast 1.I think there is so much food there acorns that sheds are going to be spread far and wide.Its just a matter of stumbleing on to the right group of oaks,
Old 03-22-2011, 09:59 AM
Fork Horn

Okay cool becuase I have waited about a month to go back to Quantico and I have still seen some deer with horns and I also have checked some good spots with no luck even went walking through local park and didnt find anything so kinda stumped but yeah if there by the oaks then it will be very hard to find them I was lucky enuff to find 6 shed in 14A about 4 years ago on a food plot but it is no longer there so I'm kinda stumped I no how to hunt quantico in the thick stuff but where is a good spot for alot good oaks any help would greatly appriciate.
Old 03-23-2011, 08:53 AM
Fork Horn

Try area 16 along 619 there are a couple houses across the rd and I have it on good authority that 1 of the guys feeds the deer there On more than 1 occassion I have seen monster bucks cross the rd after dark going to that house.Also try Rt1 along the creek that seperates P.W. & Stafford countys on the north bound side in past yrs has been very good to me.However theree is a Heron Rookery on the north side of the creek you might want to give a wide berth.Its not legal to remove a shed from a park so becareful with that.I read a story several yrs ago now about 2 guys that shed hunted Shenandoah Nat park they got caught and there homes were searched and the govt took every antler that couldent be proven where they came from.Hope this helps...
Old 04-01-2011, 08:04 PM
Fork Horn

Okay thanks I didnt no that was ilegal but thanks for letting me know back to Quantico for me LOL