Fort A.P. Hill >

Fort A.P. Hill

Community
South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

Fort A.P. Hill

Old 09-30-2010, 02:22 AM
Fork Horn

Default Fort A.P. Hill

Anyone planning on hunting AP Hill this year, there's been a lot of changes. TA's have been divided into sub-areas (ie., Ta18a, Ta18b, Ta18c). Some of the Ta's have different numbers than previous years. So, if you hunted a spot in ta19, that spot might be ta17a now. Also, the Ca program has changed, ANYONE (over 18), can be a probabionary Ca hunter. After two years of probation, you can become a regular Ca hunter. No more community service or ******ed hunts. No more use of buckshot either. If you go, read your regs well
Old 09-30-2010, 04:58 AM
Fork Horn

Yep, they defiantly changed quite a few things. Not a fan of buckshot and I use ML all season, so that doesn't really effect me. It will take some studying and time to figure out some of the new TA lines.

More of a concern to me is the closing of some roads. That make for a long walk in to some good spots. Luckily, I rarely ever used any of them anyways and they can still be used to get a deer out.

Mitch
Old 09-30-2010, 11:43 AM
Fork Horn

I know what you mean about the roads. I also hunt firearms season with a ml, so the buckshot thing is no concern to me either. I didn't realize a lot of hunters used it there. I'm glad to see the changes to the CA qualifications, that's been a good ol boy network for some time. I'm sure it won't be long before the base becomes closed to civilians and only allow active duty and retirees to hunt.
Old 09-30-2010, 05:49 PM
Spike

I like most of the changes espesially the roads being closed . As far tclosing to civilians I doupt that'll happen
Old 10-07-2010, 10:10 PM
Fork Horn

I'm looking into Hunting Fort AP Hill becuase Quantico has changed it check in process and shorteded it's gun season and has never had a muzzerloader season and hardly no doe days is it worth hunting ap hill ? and do they have nice bucks there that would make a bragging board and such
Old 10-08-2010, 05:11 AM
Fork Horn

I don't care for the way they moved the either sex days this year. Used to be about every Saturday but now they are clumped around thanksgiving and the last week of the year/Christmas.

Mitch
Old 10-14-2010, 08:31 AM
Fork Horn

Spent the last 3 days hunting there. First time ever I DID NOT SEE A SINGLE DEER!! Even the first two days driving two and from the check station, I saw nothing. That's also the general consensus from other hunters I've talked to, nothing is moving. Also, the amount of acorns falling is unreal, I've never seen it like that before either. The deer aren't even touching the sawtooths, which are normally vacuumed up by them this time of year. Each area I hunted I did see lots of fresh scraps.

Some are saying the harsh snows we had last winter had a devastating effect on the herd. I didn't see any old carcasses, but spring turkey hunters said they did. I don't know, could be an interesting year at APH!
Old 11-21-2012, 06:28 PM
Spike

Spent 3 days hunting hard in early Nov. 2012. Hunted 3 areas. Saw only one doe. Not much sign. Plenty of hunters though. I Was totally disappointed.
Old 11-22-2012, 04:04 AM
Giant Nontypical

I've tried AP Hill a few times a number of years ago. I gave up on that place and never went back.

You check out the area, and see some excellent signs of deer (even see a few deer while you're at it), and put in for TA25 or whatever TA (training area). Come next morning, there isn't a single deer in TA25. You grab your binos and scan around looking all over the place, you look way into TA26 and a massive herd of deer is in TA26. Why? TA26 IS CLOSED THAT DAY!!!

I swear... The deer at AP Hill are so educated, they all have PHD's. Somehow, mysteriously, the deer on AP Hill just...."know", like they can secretly understand english and the game check office/wardens tell them where to go to be safe!!!!
Old 11-27-2012, 10:02 AM
Fork Horn

How has the Buck Harvest been on APH this year in 2012 ? I'm curious to know and when I mean Big Bucks like bragging board bucks