Central Florida Hunting >

Central Florida Hunting

Community
South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

Central Florida Hunting

Old 01-14-2010, 07:22 PM
Spike

Default Central Florida Hunting

Hello everyone! I'm looking for some insight into the hunting in the central Florida area. I'll pre-apologize for this getting a little long winded...

My background - Born and raised in Pennsylvania, I grew up hunting the big woods in north PA and the open fields of the south eastern area of PA. I never missed a hunting season from '94 to '06. I moved to FL in '03, but new jobs in '07 and '09 forced me to miss those seasons. I've never looked into hunting in Florida, but now I've got a little baby and it looks like it's going to be tough to get back to PA, so i'm going to have to start hunting here in central Florida.

What I've found - Florida is MUCH different than PA. I've read up on all the laws and regulations, so it's now down to finding a place to hunt. Obviously, WMA's apear to be my best option, since I do not know any private land owners. So, I have a few questions for you fellow central Floridian hunters.

1: How hard is it to get in on the quota hunts? Do they fill up rediculously fast?
- Green Swamp
- Green Swamp West
- Hilochee
- Richloam
- Croom
- Seminole Ranch
- Tosahatchee
- Triple N Ranch

2: How full do these places get? I'm used to open spaces and not dealing with a lot of other hunters.

3: How is the hunting? I've always been a ground/still hunter. I'd say 90% of my hunting is still hunting, 10% is stalking. I've never hunted out of a tree stand besides a big hand-made platform. Would I need to get a climber to deal with the under brush?

4: Deer Population - I'm not a trophy hunter or trying to kill a million deer. I would just like to get 1 deer for meat for the season. I enjoy going out in the field and enjoy seeing game. I don't always have to get a shot, but I don't want to sit out there and see nothing all day, either.

5: Hogs - I've never hunted hogs. Anything that I should know about hunting deer and having hogs around or hunting hogs?

6: Hunting conditions - Obviously it's warmer, but how are the bugs, snakes, spiders etc.? I know I would need to get snake boots, but after reading some info on the Green Swamp thread, it sounds like I might need hip waders. Any other equipment that is specialized that I should know about?

7: Guns - I'm not an archery hunter, so that is out. I've got a beautiful Ruger .270 an a Remington 870 collecting dust in PA. I'm going to be bringing one down this summer. I'm considering getting a slug barrrel for the 870 so that I can switch out barrels and also hunt some small game without having to keep 2 guns in the house. (Wife is not anti-hunting, but not a fan of guns in the house.) I've never seen any restrictions listed on using high powered rifles, are there any?

8: Any other info/suggestions that anyone would have would be greatly appreciated. Like I said, I'm looking to enjoy my time in the field, seeing game and not seeing hunters every 15 feet. I don't mind walking off the beaten path to find quality hunting, but at this point I will will be hunting by myself and don't want to be forced to "go deep" to get away from the other hunters and risk getting turned around and lost.

Sorry again for the long winded post...

~Mike

Last edited by PSUMike270; 01-14-2010 at 07:26 PM.
Old 01-15-2010, 03:13 AM
Fork Horn

Welcome to Florida! I think you'll find hunting quite a bit different here. It's usually warmer, though we've had a lot of cold weather this year. This was my first season hunting so I don't know how much help I'll be but I'll try. If you haven't already, read the Green Swamp thread. It covers most info on the Swamp. Your .270 will be fine for FL, and I would definitely get snake boots. The Swamp varies on people. During Bow season, I hardly saw anyone, but Gun season can be crowded. Seeing game can be tough. I only saw 3 deer and 1 hog all year, but I'm a newbie. Others see game most trips. The best thing to do is scout, scout, scout! I'll be doing a lot of that during off season. Right now is small game season, and we have Spring Turkey in March. Good luck. I'm sure some of the more experienced guys can help more.
Old 01-15-2010, 04:32 AM
Dominant Buck

Mike, one of the best place's for hog's in central, FL. is Lake Wales, but no WMA's there..........I rather go to Three Lakes WMA when hunting in Central......

When you apply for a Quota Hunt in June, immediately send it in that same day........I use to go to the Main Post Office at TIA and sent them in the same day.....For 20 years I always had my first choices........

As for the .270 and 870, those are good for Fl..........
Old 01-17-2010, 07:04 PM
Spike

I was talking to a guy at the Bass Pro Shops on I-Drive in Orlando this weekend and he said "make sure you have body armor on if your going to hunt the WMA's". Are the WMA really that over crowded? I figured with the quota's it would actually prevent over crowding.

Also, a big question I had wasn't answered... Do I need to get a tree stand to hunt these areas? As I said before, I'm typically more of a ground/still hunter.
Old 01-18-2010, 01:23 AM
Dominant Buck

1: How hard is it to get in on the quota hunts? Do they fill up rediculously fast?
- Green Swamp..Very easy to get a quota..after the first 9 days you can just drive up and hunt.
- Green Swamp West nearly impossible..
- Hilochee..never hunted it.
- Richloam...easy after 9 days just drive on in
- Croom never hunted the rest of these.
- Seminole Ranch
- Tosahatchee
- Triple N Ranch

2: How full do these places get? I'm used to open spaces and not dealing with a lot of other hunters. Green Swamp..week days are great ..weekends I stay home or go to Three Lakes. I never saw a hunter at the Green Swamp { While I was hunting } all season,,but I did see their foot tracks and empty beer cans. ] -: I did see 3 hunters at Three Lakes that were using assault rifles for hogs,,This actually helped us as they drove 2 bucks past my hunting partner which downed a nice 4 point.

3: How is the hunting? I've always been a ground/still hunter. I'd say 90% of my hunting is still hunting, 10% is stalking. I've never hunted out of a tree stand besides a big hand-made platform. Would I need to get a climber to deal with the under brush? yes..you will need a climber...BUT stalking pays off well to
Some chain up ladder stands to the tree..Hunting is tough as nails..you will need to be good to score.I hunted 10 miles south of PA in Maryland and PA as well..This is much harder..Green swamp is over 50,000 acres...so is Richloam and Three Lakes.

4: Deer Population - I'm not a trophy hunter or trying to kill a million deer. I would just like to get 1 deer for meat for the season. I enjoy going out in the field and enjoy seeing game. I don't always have to get a shot, but I don't want to sit out there and see nothing all day, either.
Good luck..there is a big chance that you will see nothign UNLESS you are good and don't mind walking..We can't kill does here.except in archery.Archery is your best chance.
5: Hogs - I've never hunted hogs. Anything that I should know about hunting deer and having hogs around or hunting hogs? Hogs taste as good as deer and their sense of smell is just as good..you should use rubber gloves when cleaning them..some carry diseases in their insides..Most of our hogs are only about 90 pounds..there are bigger ones though

6: Hunting conditions - Obviously it's warmer, but how are the bugs, snakes, spiders etc.? I know I would need to get snake boots, but after reading some info on the Green Swamp thread, it sounds like I might need hip waders. Any other equipment that is specialized that I should know about?
you won;t need waders..Most of us use Therma Cell..for mosquitoes when temps are above 55 they can be wicked..but Therma Cell drives them all away..I killed 4 moccassins this year..Green Swamp is full of Snakes..they come out of the ground like our northern night crawlers..You will need snake boots.

7: Guns - I'm not an archery hunter, so that is out.Too bad..the moderen archery stuff is like shooting a rifle..but they are expensive..This would give ua 6 extra free weekends ..less pressure and biggest opportunity to score and scout. I've got a beautiful Ruger .270 an a Remington 870 collecting dust in PA. I'm going to be bringing one down this summer. I'm considering getting a slug barrrel for the 870 so that I can switch out barrels and also hunt some small game without having to keep 2 guns in the house. (Wife is not anti-hunting, but not a fan of guns in the house.) I've never seen any restrictions listed on using high powered rifles, are there any?270 is excellent..270 is wonderful too..I have an 870 as well..Excellent turkey gun and we have decent turkey hunting here..I shot my first hog here with an Ithica 12 guage..buck shot. I use a 30-30 Marlin

8: Any other info/suggestions that anyone would have would be greatly appreciated. Like I said, I'm looking to enjoy my time in the field, seeing game and not seeing hunters every 15 feet. I don't mind walking off the beaten path to find quality hunting, but at this point I will will be hunting by myself and don't want to be forced to "go deep" to get away from the other hunters and risk getting turned around and lost. Your odds increase by hunting deep..Always bring a compass...Also you will need trail tacks..There are very nice roads/ trails all through our WMAs..If your a birder your in for a treat..The migration fall route goes right through central Florida..BUT during archery season Aug..beginning of October. Florida is the 3rd best state for most species of birds.

Here is your typical terrain..Oh..and watch out for the gators as well.

God bless,
C7

Last edited by Chuck7; 01-18-2010 at 01:43 AM.
Old 01-18-2010, 02:31 PM
Fork Horn

Also, if you go into a cypress dome (middle pic) you might want to get out before dark! (Don't ask me how I figured that out!)
Old 01-18-2010, 03:35 PM
Dominant Buck

LOL 10-4 good buddy.
Old 01-19-2010, 02:36 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Chuck7
LOL 10-4 good buddy.

Is the 3rd pic from green swamp?
Old 01-19-2010, 04:23 PM
Dominant Buck

No sir..but certainly looks like a place off of Powder Grade.LOL
Old 01-19-2010, 04:54 PM
Spike

Thanks for all the great responses Chuck.

I like to think that I'm a pretty good hunter with about 15 years of experience hunting everything from Groundhogs to Deer and everything in between. I've got a few buck under my belt and have averaged at least 1 deer per year hunting. (lots of Doe in PA). I've got a lot of experience that may or may not transfer to the hunting in FL, but I'm looking forward to next season and testing my skills. After some scouting over the spring and summer, I hope to find a nice area to hunt and hopefully, come hunting season, it's not someone elses spot already. I don't want to be the guy that steals someone's spot.

Another question: Do people get together and put on drives? Sounds like a lot of people just climb up their tree and wait there for a deer to move in.

In PA, driving is often the only way to get the deer moving and get some action after the first day of the season. I've shot a lot deer that have been the result of a successfully organized drive.

Last edited by PSUMike270; 01-19-2010 at 04:59 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.