Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > South
Central Florida Hunting >

Central Florida Hunting

Community
South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

Central Florida Hunting

Old 01-20-2010, 12:42 AM
Dominant Buck

Thanks for all the great responses Chuck.

Your welcome sir..

I like to think that I'm a pretty good hunter with about 15 years of experience hunting everything from Groundhogs to Deer and everything in between.
I hear that..I 've shot a few groundhogs myself in PA LOL

I've got a few buck under my belt and have averaged at least 1 deer per year hunting. (lots of Doe in PA). I've got a lot of experience that may or may not transfer to the hunting in FL, but I'm looking forward to next season and testing my skills. After some scouting over the spring and summer, I hope to find a nice area to hunt and hopefully, come hunting season, it's not someone elses spot already.That will be a challenge in itself..If you are closer to Three Lakes ..you would be better off to hunt there..a lot less hunters and IMHO more opportunity for a shot. The Green Swamp is nuts on weekends..After 7:30 AM some begin target practicing..

I don't want to be the guy that steals someone's spot.

Another question: Do people get together and put on drives? Sounds like a lot of people just climb up their tree and wait there for a deer to move in. Some do drive but most sit in a tree..

In PA, driving is often the only way to get the deer moving and get some action after the first day of the season. I've shot a lot deer that have been the result of a successfully organized drive. I've only been on one deer drive..and it was my last hunt at Three Lakes.this year.A father and son I had just met said.." Chuck, you stand on the other end of this cypress dome..I think there are hogs in there." I said "OK" no sooner do I get set up I hear BOOM ! BOOM!. I had just met these guys and thought they were shooting ro scare something...certainly they didn't shoot anything. 15 minutes later BOOM! ..5 minutes later they are dragging 2 hogs LOL 1/2 of it is in my freezer..So driving does work Both guys had seen the hogs feeding on the edge og the dome and shot them while they fed. Here is a picture of them and their hogs.
Old 01-20-2010, 04:25 PM
Spike

Thanks again Chuck.

Another question - Earlier you mentioned that you need gloves to deal with the hogs and that they carry some deseases. If that is the case, are they still safe to eat?
Old 01-20-2010, 05:23 PM
Dominant Buck

Yes sir..they are very safe BUT the old timers will tell you to use gloves /The meat taste nothing like regular hog..they are wild and lean..Meat is mild and tasty..We crock pot all day with a jar of greek peppers..the vinegar in the peppers totally tenderrizes the meat..the meat falls off the bone.
Here is a front hog shoulder..meat fell off the bone..totally 5 star awesome..

Last edited by Chuck7; 01-20-2010 at 05:26 PM.
Old 01-20-2010, 05:44 PM
Spike

Looks delicious! I might be having a buddy from PA coming down to hunt hogs with me, so I want to be prepared for everything.
Old 01-20-2010, 06:21 PM
Spike

That will be a challenge in itself..If you are closer to Three Lakes ..you would be better off to hunt there..a lot less hunters and IMHO more opportunity for a shot. The Green Swamp is nuts on weekends..After 7:30 AM some begin target practicing..[/COLOR]

Three Lakes is about an hour and 45 minutes away...no good for me. I'm on the west side of Orlando, so the Greenswamp area is closest.

Have you (or anyone else) ever hunting Richloam? That looks like a reasonably close area to me as well.

Are there a ton of people there and is the hunting any good?
Old 01-21-2010, 12:55 AM
Dominant Buck

I've never hunted Richloam BUT read a very good article about it in one of the huntingr magazines and may try it out next year for archery..Richloam allows dogs and is the reason why some don't hunt it..As a teacher I get alot of fall days off so the Green Swamp is very good for me. During the week days the Green Swamp is decent..
Old 01-31-2010, 05:35 AM
Fork Horn

[quote=Rebel Hog;3555190]Mike, one of the best place's for hog's in central, FL. is Lake Wales, but no WMA's there..........I rather go to Three Lakes WMA when hunting in Central.... /quote]

As a Lake Wales resident for 8 yrs now, I can attest to that statement...

Regarding no WMAs - Kissimmee PUA and Lakes WMAS are very good... but you need a boat.

Good luck.
Old 01-31-2010, 05:51 AM
Fork Horn

NOT your typical Lake Wales area pig.... but there are more this size out there
Old 01-31-2010, 11:40 AM
Dominant Buck

Great hog..thanks fo rsharing
Old 02-07-2010, 08:23 AM
Typical Buck

Not many people conduct drives in florida on wma's. Though some places in both green swamp and richloam would be great for it. My buddies and I conduct small drives to mixed success.