Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > South
Virginia Deer Hound Training Season >

Virginia Deer Hound Training Season

Community
South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA
View Poll Results: Would you support this season?
yes
38.64%
no
61.36%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Virginia Deer Hound Training Season

Old 01-25-2010, 02:41 PM
Spike

First, lets get that "RTR" law abolished in Virginia! The longer that "unconstitutional law" is allowed to live the sooner it's going to be before some Hound Hunter or some Property owner gets killed in a dispute, which we all know is in favor of property owners!
If Hound Hunters stand any chance in the future they need to admit that the RTR law is wrong, take measures to have it abolished, and then and only then will other hunting groups hear what they are saying!

Last edited by Average Joe; 01-25-2010 at 02:45 PM.
Old 01-25-2010, 02:48 PM
Fork Horn

I find rather amusing that you reference the bear hound training/chase season in this post. According to the VDGIF website this season is Dec. 7-12 for 4 counties and Aug 8- Sept 26 for 35 counties and some of them are only for half the county. By my account that is only 8 weeks of it or roughly 2 months. You are proposing deer hound training/chase season that is approximately 20 weeks long or roughly 4 months. Also you want it to be 24/7 training while the bear season is One-half hour before sunrise to 4-½ hours after sunset. Really how much time do you need to train your pups? If you need that much time then maybe you need to get better dogs.

I have hunted with dogs in the past for several years and I do like this style of hunting, but I think this is ridiculous. I have one question to ask you, Are you going to get permission from a landowner at 3:00am to retrieve you dogs if they happen to stray across a property line chasing a deer?

I guess we will have some messed up racks on bucks since they will be running scared and hitting them on everybranch or fence while in velvet.
Old 01-26-2010, 08:12 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Bigg~BirddVA
LOL ! Years of trail cams and personal experience show that deer go nocturnal if chased by dogs. It takes some time, a month or so for them to start back to a normal (daylight) movement. Besides want to chase deer? That's fine with me but keep it on your own lands. I'm not for banning it, just not for allowing impact in any form on prohibited lands. That means no dogs across property lines and no RTR. Enough is enough and a change is long overdue.
didn't you say in another post somewhere else that any change in there pattern will make them go nocturnal now its just the dogs since thats the topic how about I keep my big ole' truck, buckshot, and dogs and you keep the change
Old 01-26-2010, 08:21 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by rafsob
Somehow I get the feeling you came on here to upset the applecart. Or are just are you a standard type, one each, troll.

A lot of folks around here don't care much for the way dog hunting goes in Virigina. We have a bunch of "A" holes in DF&G who are too pro dog hunting and the hell with the others.

I personally think they are the lowest of rednecks that I have come in contact with and if there are any real dog hunters of good character, I haven't met any!!!

Sorry if this sounds too harsh, but I have had too many experiences with this low life and rowdy bunch.
no just looking for support if you don't like then so be it. You guys on this site are an angry bunch us low life rowdy bunch of rednecks have some dogs to run got to go.
Old 01-26-2010, 08:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by rafsob
Who is the idiot that came up with a training period during hunting season??? That has got to be the stupidest thing I have ever heard of.

When I am sitting int he woods during our archery season in Oct. here in Va. that is the last thing I want to see is a bunch of dogs messing up my hunt!!!

I sure feel sorry for the folks in your neck of the woods that are serious hunters.
The Florida FWC, who else?

It hasn't ruined my hunt in 5 years that I can think of. Deer that are use to being ran and hearing dogs running don't normally even acknowledge the dogs are running within 200 yds of them unless they are the one being chased. They normally don't even pick their heads up when feeding and it doesn't affect their movement patterns(unless again, they are being chased).

Antidog hunter propaganda tells you that dog running will run every deer for miles away from your stand if a pack of running dogs passes by, but us that still hunt in dog hunting clubs know much different. I too was really hesitant to start still hunting in a dog running club, but now you get me to leave there for any 'still hunt only' club in the county.
Old 01-26-2010, 08:34 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by flips2
I find rather amusing that you reference the bear hound training/chase season in this post. According to the VDGIF website this season is Dec. 7-12 for 4 counties and Aug 8- Sept 26 for 35 counties and some of them are only for half the county. By my account that is only 8 weeks of it or roughly 2 months. You are proposing deer hound training/chase season that is approximately 20 weeks long or roughly 4 months. Also you want it to be 24/7 training while the bear season is One-half hour before sunrise to 4-½ hours after sunset. Really how much time do you need to train your pups? If you need that much time then maybe you need to get better dogs.

I have hunted with dogs in the past for several years and I do like this style of hunting, but I think this is ridiculous. I have one question to ask you, Are you going to get permission from a landowner at 3:00am to retrieve you dogs if they happen to stray across a property line chasing a deer?

I guess we will have some messed up racks on bucks since they will be running scared and hitting them on everybranch or fence while in velvet.
I didn't Know you could eat the antlers ain't it kinda crunchy and no I will not be getting permission from landowners at 3am because I have enough sense to have already gotten my written permission that is not even needed cuz where I come from we don't live or hunt or whatever beside someone for 10 years and not know their name but for those who will not welcome me on to there land I simply wait on the other side until the dogs come out its that easy
Old 01-26-2010, 09:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Root'em Up Kennels
I didn't Know you could eat the antlers ain't it kinda crunchy and no I will not be getting permission from landowners at 3am because I have enough sense to have already gotten my written permission that is not even needed cuz where I come from we don't live or hunt or whatever beside someone for 10 years and not know their name but for those who will not welcome me on to there land I simply wait on the other side until the dogs come out its that easy
Thats the problem.....if your not welcomed on someone`s land then you should keep your dogs off of it too.....

Last edited by brewman555; 01-26-2010 at 12:21 PM.
Old 01-26-2010, 09:33 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by brewman555
Thats the problem.....if your not welcomed on someone`s land then you should keep you dogs off of it too.....
I'll have a talk with them
Old 01-26-2010, 03:18 PM
Fork Horn

No I don't eat antlers but that doesn't mean I wouldn't mind a chance at shooting a nice buck with a nice rack, as most people here probably would. I am glad to know you would have enough sense to get written permission to retrieve your dogs but not every dog hunter does. That type of careless behavior is the exact reason why I stopped hunting with several different dog hunting clubs.

I am curious why you didn't address the time frame of your deer hound training/chasing season? Why will it take double the time to train deer hounds than bear hounds? I can only assume there was an agreement made with bear hound hunters and the game department on the time frame of their season and the hunters were satisfied with the amount of time allotted to them to train their dogs. At the very most if a deer hound training season was established then it should be no longer than the bear hound training season. I can not comment on what time of the year it should take place because I have not studied the effects of it and there where some good points made in earlier post in reference to this.

Good luck with it but I will voice my opinion when it comes up, if it does.
Old 01-26-2010, 07:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

no just looking for support if you don't like then so be it. You guys on this site are an angry bunch us low life rowdy bunch of rednecks have some dogs to run got to go.
We may be, but at least we learned how to spell and use commas and periods. So these are the people that my clothes go to when I donate them to goodwill......If you have nothing positive to add to this site, please stay off.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.