HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Virginia Deer Hound Training Season
View Single Post
Old 01-25-2010, 02:48 PM
flips2
Fork Horn

I find rather amusing that you reference the bear hound training/chase season in this post. According to the VDGIF website this season is Dec. 7-12 for 4 counties and Aug 8- Sept 26 for 35 counties and some of them are only for half the county. By my account that is only 8 weeks of it or roughly 2 months. You are proposing deer hound training/chase season that is approximately 20 weeks long or roughly 4 months. Also you want it to be 24/7 training while the bear season is One-half hour before sunrise to 4-½ hours after sunset. Really how much time do you need to train your pups? If you need that much time then maybe you need to get better dogs.

I have hunted with dogs in the past for several years and I do like this style of hunting, but I think this is ridiculous. I have one question to ask you, Are you going to get permission from a landowner at 3:00am to retrieve you dogs if they happen to stray across a property line chasing a deer?

I guess we will have some messed up racks on bucks since they will be running scared and hitting them on everybranch or fence while in velvet.