Community
South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

Colorblind?

Old 12-23-2009, 02:42 AM
Fork Horn

Default Colorblind?

Any colorblind hunters here? My son is colorblind and has trouble with browns. Brown deer, brown background is a problem. He can see the white on a deer, but thinks the rest is blocked by brush (or something). If anyone else has this problem, please pass on your tips. Thanks
Old 12-23-2009, 04:24 AM
Giant Nontypical

Yup.... Colorblind here too. I hate it and have always hated it for all of my 48 years.

I can see red and green fine, but for some reason, I have trouble with shades of red and brown.

Example: Click on the link below and look at the colored dots. What numbers can you see?

http://www.toledo-bend.com/colorblind/Ishihara.asp

Here's what I see....

Top Left...........Top Right
25....................20? (something is there, but, I can't make it out)

Middle Left.......Middle Right
Dots.................56

Bottom Left......Bottom Right
Dots.................Dots

Bottom picture
I see an "8". How f'd up is that?

The biggest fear I have is bowhunting and not being able to find the blood trail. But so far, I haven't had any problems (thank God). I'm just lucky that I also have a .308 w/ scope for rifle season. Bang...flop...venison on the table...
Old 12-23-2009, 05:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

While definitely a disadvantage with color differentiation, some colorblind people, like my brother, are better able to pick out movement than most. I think it's an over compensation thing, sort of like blind people relying on hearing to a greater extent.

Hopefully, your son can learn to use what he has to get the deer.
Old 12-24-2009, 02:33 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks Butch, but what do you do to overcome the brown on brown issue? My son is 21 and just started hunting this year. He wanted nothing to do with it while he was growing up (just wanted video games and music). So, now that he's out of the house, he's found out that beef is too expensive...so the hunting begins. Also, he's done a paper in college on colorblindness and I believe that site was one of his references.
Old 12-24-2009, 05:14 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by UFunny2
Thanks Butch, but what do you do to overcome the brown on brown issue?
Brown on brown? Um, I watch for movement. Or I try to make out some other feature. So far, I haven't had a problem (...lucky).
Old 12-24-2009, 08:33 AM
Fork Horn

My brother is color blind to red (or certain shades thereof) he used to have a heck of a time trailing a deer he shot that did not drop in sight. In fact I have tracked a many deer for him through the years. He has gotten so that if it is not night time and the ground is not wet he can track fairly well ( I think damn well for being colorblind to reds) now, he studys the foliage and looks for wet/shiny spots and other things such as freshly broken limbs or folded down grasses etc. I still do alot of tracking for him when the conditions are nto perfect, but hey that is what brothers are for.