Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > South
 WHAT FOOD PLOTS ARE BEST IN TENNESSEE >

WHAT FOOD PLOTS ARE BEST IN TENNESSEE

Community
South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

WHAT FOOD PLOTS ARE BEST IN TENNESSEE

Old 05-31-2003, 01:05 PM

Default WHAT FOOD PLOTS ARE BEST IN TENNESSEE

I HAVE ALREADY PLANTED CORN , WATERMELLON , PUMPKIN , AND WHEAT. ANY OTHER SUGGESTIONS?
Old 06-01-2003, 01:49 PM

Default RE: WHAT FOOD PLOTS ARE BEST IN TENNESSEE

One. Repost this question on the Quality Deer Management thread. Also, take a little time and read some of the posts that discuss the plantings these folks are having good luck with.
One suggestion is; plant clover. Check with your local Coop about what local Clovers will do best. I haver planted Ladino White and Kentland Red Clover. I mix a little Rape in with the Ladino. My 4 plots are doing well enough, but the deer won' t let them get over 6-8 inches tall.

Good luck.
Russ
Old 06-02-2003, 07:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: WHAT FOOD PLOTS ARE BEST IN TENNESSEE

I planted bio-logic last fall and have a good stand of it but the deer won' t touch it. I' ve seen them put it in their mouth and spit it out. This spring I planted Plotspike premium and it' s coming up good and has alot of deer tracks in it but I havn' t seen any signs of nibbling or eating the stuff. I' ve also planted turnips, without much sucess. I have a couple of clover stands and that is eaten regularly. A few years a go, I planted corn, and between the racoons and the deer it was not allowed to mature. I' ve had watermelons but I' m the only one that' s eaten them. The best attractant I' ve found is shelled corn put in a 6 inch pvc pipe that' s tied to a tree. But, that only works till the racoons find it and then they eat it all. This time a year, a plain white salt block works well for attracting the deer.