Whats a deers favorite..... >

Whats a deers favorite.....

Community
South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

Whats a deers favorite.....

Old 09-14-2009, 06:46 PM
Spike

Default Whats a deers favorite.....

food in fla. I have scouted hard looking for any feeding areas and no droppings nor signs of where deer have been feeding. I hunt in an area where there is a lot water and where it floods pretty easily. There are a lot oak patches w/ a lot of hard pines and cypress trees but no acorns yet even though my 2 oaks are full of them. Should i just focus on the open fields of grass. I guess my question is what should i be looking for as in food sources that are like candy that deer cannot deny?? Thanks for the help!!
Old 09-15-2009, 02:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

The oaks are just starting to drop, find that one that is and you'll see deer...
they also like palmetto berries....
Old 09-15-2009, 06:00 AM
Spike

you need to find areas with a good mix of available food sources. this time of year you can find greenbrier (aka wait a minute vines)pallmetto berries, ground oaks (they look more like a low growing shrub but can be loaded with acorns), persimons or brier bushes with fruit (blackberry). if you can identify what types of oaks you have, do some research and find out which ones drop first around your area. around here (polk county) water oaks are the first to start dropping, then live oaks.
good luck
brian