Any Va hunters here use dogs? >

Any Va hunters here use dogs?

Community
South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

Any Va hunters here use dogs?

Old 09-09-2009, 01:14 PM
Spike

Default Any Va hunters here use dogs?

Boredom and curiosity kinda lead me to this. But does anybody in Virginia hunt deer with beagles/hounds? Kinda curious to see how many are on here besides myself
Old 09-09-2009, 05:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think just about anybody who has hunted for any amount of time in VA has some experience hunting with hounds.

I killed my first deer when I was 6... big old doe being run by beagles. I shudder to thing how many I've killed much the same way since..... piles upon piles.

I'm much more into bowhunting for deer (and three times more over into waterfowl hunting) to do much anymore.... I still love to get together with my friends around Christmas time and cut a pack or two loose on a big farm and shoot off some does for meat needy local folks... especially in places where the doe you do not shoot today is the one you'll have to shoot in June on a kill permit. It is a big social event for me.... barbeque.... good running.... excitement.... thats kinda what it was meant to be. Like anything else... done correctly, its a great mangement tool and a very fun way to hunt... abused... it can be a real black eye for honest hound hunters and all hunters in general.
Old 09-14-2009, 06:26 AM
Spike

I hunt with dogs, but just one state below you there buddy, hollering at ya from NC. Love dog hunting, have 16 walker hounds that will straight up pick one's a**.
Old 09-14-2009, 02:56 PM
Spike

I do alot of still hunting but yes I LOVE to get together 5 or 6 times a year and hunt with the dogs. And like coll said its a great way to help keep the population down.
Old 09-15-2009, 06:51 PM
Spike

Years ago when we lived in alittle place called Clover Va we hunted with a hunt club that ran beagles.I really enjoyed watching an listening to those dogs work as a child.Now i am more into sitting in my treestand in a county that does not allow the dogs to run deer.I will probably take my son out this year for his 1st ever hunt an hope he enjoys the outdoors as much as me..........probably take him to an area where they will run dogs.
Old 09-15-2009, 07:13 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by SwampCollie
I think just about anybody who has hunted for any amount of time in VA has some experience hunting with hounds.
Huh... hunted in Virginia for 35+ years, never hunted with dogs. Although I guess you're right, I've had "experience" with hounds while hunting, but that's a different story.
Old 09-15-2009, 08:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

Oh God... Here we go...

I have only hunted rabbit with my beagle mix, but never hunted deer with a dog.

I go out west to the other side of the George Washington Nat'l Forest to hunt deer out there.
Old 09-16-2009, 04:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by SwampCollie

I killed my first deer when I was 6... big old doe being run by beagles. I shudder to thing how many I've killed much the same way since..... piles upon piles.

I'm much more into bowhunting for deer (and three times more over into waterfowl hunting) to do much anymore.... I still love to get together with my friends around Christmas time and cut a pack or two loose on a big farm and shoot off some does for meat needy local folks... especially in places where the doe you do not shoot today is the one you'll have to shoot in June on a kill permit. It is a big social event for me.... barbeque.... good running.... excitement.... thats kinda what it was meant to be. Like anything else... done correctly, its a great mangement tool and a very fun way to hunt... abused... it can be a real black eye for honest hound hunters and all hunters in general.

Been hunting in VA since 1978 and never used dogs for deer hunting....plenty of rabbit, fowl, and coons, but not deer. Depends on what part of the state you hunt.
Old 09-16-2009, 01:41 PM
Fork Horn

removed by RD

Last edited by Ron Duval; 01-19-2010 at 12:19 PM.
Old 09-17-2009, 03:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by frontstuffer01
Years ago when we lived in alittle place called Clover Va we hunted with a hunt club that ran beagles.I really enjoyed watching an listening to those dogs work as a child.Now i am more into sitting in my treestand in a county that does not allow the dogs to run deer.I will probably take my son out this year for his 1st ever hunt an hope he enjoys the outdoors as much as me..........probably take him to an area where they will run dogs.

Probally hunted more with the hounds more than any other way during my life.Because of where I live.Helped build the power plant in Clover Va.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.