Lookin for some input... >

Lookin for some input...

Community
South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

Lookin for some input...

Old 09-09-2009, 01:39 PM
Fork Horn

Default Lookin for some input...

hey guys im seriously thinkin about gettin a new mossberg rifle, the one im lookin at gettin comes in .270, .308, and .30-06 calibers...which do you'll think would be a good choice for FL. deer n hog huntin overall??? thanks.
Old 09-09-2009, 05:28 PM
Spike

My guess is that you live in Northern FL or the pan handle. I am not real familiar with the lay of the land there, but would think that you would not have a lot of long shots (most within 100 yards). If that is the case any caliber would be plenty for the size deer we have in the south and all three would be able to handle hogs too. I have heard good things about the mossberg rifles in magazines as well, but have never fired one.
Old 09-09-2009, 06:29 PM
Fork Horn

actually live in central fl., yea i was thinkin the same, think im more so leanin towards the 30-06, i know a lot of people that use that caliber of rifle and they all seem happy with them, but on the same note i know people with 270s n 308s as well. thats why im askin on here...lol
Old 09-10-2009, 07:51 AM
Fork Horn

I don't think you will go wrong with any of those in central FLa. It is where I live and hunt and it's not like the deer are moose sized any ways. I have a Rem. 30-06 and I have a .243 that I use too. Of all the deer I have "hit", none have ever run away.
Old 09-10-2009, 07:58 AM
Spike

I use a .270 with 150 grain bullets. I used to own a 30-06 until it was stolen . I killed my first deer with the 30-06, but did not own it long enough to know how it performed over time, but they don't call it the king of deer rifles for nothing. For short range within 150 yards this is a good gun. For longer yardage the .270 and .308 would be better. I got the .270 because a friend of mine in college sold it dirt cheap and I could not pass on the deal. That being said I have had a great time using it and have no complaints about the gun.

The only thing I would mention (and I don't know where you stand on the topic) is the 30-06 may be overkill for FL deer. I personally do not feel that is possible, but it does make a large exit hole , where as the .270 makes less, which means less damage to the meat.
Old 09-10-2009, 08:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Any of those mentioned are perfectly fine for Florida critters. Good luck.
Old 09-10-2009, 01:04 PM
Fork Horn

thanks guys.... appreciate the feedback...i guess the 30-06 it will be!!!
Old 09-12-2009, 08:54 AM
Fork Horn

All of them are exceptional calibers...

the .30-06 is the most flexable of them and generally the most powerful...(thinking pig)

the .270 has the best long range ballistics...

the .308 can be used in some short action rifles (I like the Ruger M77II Compact) and is generally the most accurate round, but does not handle heavy bullets (180-220 grain) as well as the -06.

Since most stores will carry those bullets (and .30-30) when they carry nothing else, you still have a winner with each...

Since a deer hit by any of them will die quickly (and in my experience, nearly identically), you may wish to think about any hunting you may do outside of Florida...and choose based on that...