Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > South
New to hunting >

New to hunting

South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

New to hunting

Old 09-09-2009, 06:26 AM
Spike

Default New to hunting

Hunting is something I have always wanted to get into, but have never had friends/family who were hunters. I recently moved to Northern Virginia and I am looking to start this season. Again, I am at the disadvantage of not knowing anybody who hunts. I guess my main question for everybody is: “where do I begin?”

Are there clubs or websites that take newbies like me and teach them how to hunt? I spent 6 years in the Marines and have shot plenty of weapons in my life so I am not too concerned with that aspect. However, I do not know anything about the legality, locations, dressing, quotas and every other detail that is affiliated with hunting. Any information that can be given to start me off on the right foot would be highly appreciated.
Old 09-09-2009, 09:54 AM
Fork Horn

First thing you do is go here, http://www.dgif.virginia.gov/ Find a hunter safety class and take it. After that........ heck if I know. I'm in the same boat. Welcome to the area and the site.
Old 09-09-2009, 12:50 PM
Fork Horn

removed by RD

Last edited by Ron Duval; 01-19-2010 at 12:21 PM.
Old 09-09-2009, 05:42 PM
Spike

I grew up in NOVA and there is very little private land to hunt there. However after you do take your hunter's safety course there are opportunities on public land. In fact if you can gain access to Quantico Marine base there is "supposedly" some decent deer hunting there, but bases always have special regulations.

I used to hunt on camp Lejeune when I was in the Corps and there was a lot of land and a lot of deer, but there was also a lot of pressure, which is often the case on public land. All I can tell you about that is try to get away from everyone else the best you can, get in before everyone and leave later than the others if possible.

Oh yeah, by the way there are alot of NOVA hunters that visit this part of the forum.

Last edited by Bone_Collector; 09-09-2009 at 06:15 PM.