New to East Texas, any advice? >

New to East Texas, any advice?

Community
South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

New to East Texas, any advice?

Old 08-10-2009, 01:42 PM
Fork Horn

Default New to East Texas, any advice?

Ive hunted all over Texas except North East Texas. I have a 300 acre farm around the Gregg/ Rusk County line and this year i decided to save some money and challenge myself to bag some animals there. I have been in and out for the past 6 months deciding if i wanted to do this and am about to get serious this next wk. Is there alot of trespassing typically in East texas? ive run into other people's setups on my property almost every time ive been there (5 times) in the past year. What are some good early season plots? im thinkin oats and chickory as soon as the temp starts to max out at about 95. if it ever happens. and i was just wondering if anyone has ever had good luck around the Gregg/ Rusk County Areas? I am currently 6 hours away from there but will be moving within 2 hours of my farm in Dec, so trespassers beware! Thanks for any advice or stories of hunting/ trespassing the area!
Old 08-18-2009, 04:38 PM

I live in Longview and I can tell you that there are spots where the whitetails come out on the highway, so there is definitely the population around here. As for the trespassers, I think you find that anywhere you go. I would just be sure to post signs up around your property. If they are smart in the least, they won't want to get shot.

I usually hunt with my 13 yo son on public lands. I've had some success at Caddo Lake WMA over in Harrison County, but with a little planning, you should have some great luck provided you have some food or water sources on your farm. Welcome to the area!
Old 08-21-2009, 06:41 PM
Fork Horn

thanks for the response. our last trip over there showed fewer signs of disturbance so i hope the rest of the season will progress into only us being on my farm. we saw a few deer wednesday and that is a positive sign. glad to kow there is still some success from normal people like us that arent on a high fence ranch. good luck on the public land. HOpe ya bag a big one! its awesome you take your 13 yr old. my boy will be 5 this season and i hope to take him out with me a few times this year. cant wait!