Hunting Stores in N. VA? >

Hunting Stores in N. VA?

Community
South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

Hunting Stores in N. VA?

Old 05-11-2009, 09:30 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Hunting Stores in N. VA?

My opinionisthat in recent years that the gun/equipment selections atClark Bros and Loudon Guns has seriously dwindled. Just my .02 though.......... everytime I have walked into either over the last few years I have been disappointed with what they had to offer........ Shoulda went to Green Top instead. I know, I know,.... I'm biased but I've been making the drive to Green Top for years.
Old 05-12-2009, 05:01 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Hunting Stores in N. VA?

i"ve heard so much about Green Top,,,i wanna go there bad,,,,im gonna have to put that on the priority list
Old 08-01-2009, 07:05 PM
Fork Horn

I heard that if you shoot at Clark Bros. you have to buy their stuff. If you are a handloader or use something they don't sell then you are SOL. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 08-01-2009, 07:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

In general that policy is correct. However, if you are getting what you need that is available at Clark Bros,, I think you are ok to shoot there.

I shoot a muzzleloader so I figure if I am buying my primers, powder and any other items I need that they have in stock, I am not abusing their policy by buying my bullets wherever I can find them. Some of their stuff is overpriced (Blackhorn 209 is $40 a bottle!) but I consider it the price of using the range, since most ranges charge at least $10 an hour.
Old 08-02-2009, 04:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Many people on here act like it takes a great deal of technical knowledge to shoot a muzzeloader correctly, but it does not. Before we dog out certain stores or what not, just ask yourself...can I research the information myself? And the answer is, you already have the information with the purchase of your weapon. The next thing is to simply drive to the nearest store that carries the equipment you need. Buy the equipment and then shoot your gun.

When I first started shooting a muzzleloader I drove down to Walmart, picked up the .50 cal bullets, the proper blackpowder charge, and the percussion caps. Then I shot the gun just fine. I would not waste my time driving 50 miles one way if I could drive 5 miles and get the stuff I needed. The people at those gun shops aren't going to give you anything more than the stuff you could find at DICKS or Walmart.
Old 08-03-2009, 05:41 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by kodiakemt414
I heard that if you shoot at Clark Bros. you have to buy their stuff. If you are a handloader or use something they don't sell then you are SOL. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
There's a free range at Phelps WMA. It's only open during hunting season and is crowded on the weekends, but it's a nice range.

If you want to join the IWLA http://www.iwla.us/ $100 to join and $100/year dues, they have Rifle, Pistol, Trap, and Archery ranges. Plus camping, fishing and some limited hunting.
Old 08-03-2009, 07:51 AM
Fork Horn

I'm a member at the Bristow one. Not really a gun club (25yd indoor 5 lanes) but still a nice little place. The one in stafford does look good as you can do some bench shooting.