Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 Hunting Stores Will Never Be the Same For Me!!! >

Hunting Stores Will Never Be the Same For Me!!!

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Hunting Stores Will Never Be the Same For Me!!!

Old 10-01-2003, 05:05 AM

Default Hunting Stores Will Never Be the Same For Me!!!

I made the 2 hour trek to the new Cabelas Store in Hamburg, PA. I still can' t believe what I saw. My buddy and I spent 5 hours there and still didn' t get to see the Huge fish tank because the line was too long. The parking lot was so full they were parking people in nearby fields and running shuttle busses. I found some great deals on Scent Lok in the Bargain Cave. It was Half off, too good of a deal to pass up! Even the food was pretty good in the restaraunt. But the Mounts are what blew me away, just the way they had them in realistic poses, totally amazing. Heck the gun wall was atleast 75 yards long with guns stacked side by side the whole length of it and then there was the gun library which held antique guns for sale so all in all they had 100 yards plus in guns. The archery section also amazed me, I didn' t know so many different types of broadheads, sights, and rests existed. All I can say is YOU HAVE TO GO!!! It is the most amazing thing I have seen in my life. I will definitly try to make as many visits as I can throughout the year, but I don' t think my wife will let me spend another $137 the next time I go.
Old 10-01-2003, 08:26 AM

Default RE: Hunting Stores Will Never Be the Same For Me!!!

i wish it wasn' t 4 hours away , i' d try and get a job there !!!

Old 10-01-2003, 11:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

I' ve already gone twice. Never made it to the restaurant. Too crowded. Both times we went to the Cracker Barrel across the street (Country Fried Steak - yummy). That place was also crowded. Try counting license plates in the parking lot and see how many different states you come up with. Last Saturday I got 15 states and 2 countries (US and Canada).

Scott Meier
White Oak Lodge
Old 10-01-2003, 11:41 AM

Don' t worry xibowhunter , next year you' ll have one closer, Wheeling WV, opens in 2004.

Is a great store thou isn' t it. Even my wife doesn' t mind shopping there.
Old 10-02-2003, 05:18 PM
Fork Horn

I am two hours from the Cabela`s in Dundee, Michigan. Don`t get down that way very often, but it is like being a kid in the toy department before Christmas.
Old 10-03-2003, 05:41 AM
Fork Horn

A couple of guys from our club are heading down on Thursday, I can' t wait
Old 10-03-2003, 07:16 AM

Yeah these stores are neat but they novelty wears off. I live a few min from the Bass Pro Shops in Baltimore (I realize that this store is a lot smaller than the Cabelas that opened). Be careful if you go - don' t expect to find a deal on everything and don' t expect the employees to be " experts" . At least, the BPS has deals on some things because of volume buying, but they nail you on the little stuff. There is still something to be said for supporting your small neighborhood shops - a lot of times the prices are not all that different.
Old 10-03-2003, 10:11 AM
Boone & Crockett

Don' t forget about the little guys, they need the business, Cabela' s doesn' t.....I know they are great, I but there as well but I don' t forget the little shops in my area too.
Old 10-03-2003, 11:22 AM

Oh I deffinitly won' t forget about the little guys, they are the ones I go to when I need the expert advice. Hey there is some breaking news I heard and confirmed via the Harrisburg Patriot News. BASS PRO IS COMING TO HARRISBURG, Yep Bass Pro is close to signing a deal to put a store in the East Mall in Harrisburg, in the old Lord and Taylor store. That was one big store which covered multiple stores, I new it was only a matter of time since Cabelas announced their store. They can' t let Cabelas get all of PA' s Business.
Old 10-03-2003, 01:18 PM

I know a few folks here make their livings as local shop owners and so forth but let me say this I try to support my local shop. He is a nice enough guy but my hard earned cash is mine to spend how I want & where I want. Sales is one thing service is another. Large retailers wil save you a few $ but locals can service your equipment.

I am really pissed that local shop owner would sell my buddy 100 grain mechanicals when he was shooting 125 field points all year and having trouble with back end of broadheads hitting his brace at full draw so rather than have him go to local Dick' s or even Cabelas. He sold him 100 mechanicals on the spot since he didnt' have any 125' s in stock.

Local guy does get certified by PSE for tuning bows and know my buddies set-up and has used him for year' s for all of his purchases. But my calculations had it as 52 #' s KE with 125 grain tips and 50# KE with the 100 grain tips. It is the week of the opener so my buddy would have to sight in to adjust for the change from the 125' s to the 100' s. He then said don' t over scrutinize the KE because they will work at less than 35 #' s. Had I not been there to hear it I wouldn' t believe it. The guy can arguably tune a bow with the best of them. My bow shot like it was brand new after he tuned it up but I have to question his ethics by reccomending the mechanicals in the lower grain weight.