Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > South
 Virginia hunt clubs? >

Virginia hunt clubs?

South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

Virginia hunt clubs?

Old 09-04-2011, 01:18 PM
Spike

Hey, still a good topic. I'm new to the board and interested in finding a good hunt club in the eastern end of Virginia. Haven't found many options googling around. Any suggestions or leads would be greatly appreciated.
Old 09-07-2011, 10:37 AM
Fork Horn

Default Hunt CLub

KVMAPR.... here is some info for you......

Tenpoint Hunt club seeks a few good members for the 2011/2012 hunting season. We are located in Emporia, Virginia, about 1 1/2 hrs west of VaBch and 1 hour south of Richmond.
We have a full club house with all the amenities of home during hunting season.
We lease apprx. 4,200 acres of timber land all in 1 parcel.
We maintain apprx. 80 built stands on the property.
Kids hunt for free with paid membership of member.
We do have web site that lists a map of the land, our by-laws, club and dues info, http://www.Tenpointhuntclub.org. and we meet every 2nd Wed of the month in Chesapeake.
If interested call Bobby Phillips at 757-487-9666.
Old 09-08-2011, 03:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Craigslist also, however like someone else mentioned you definitely want to check out the club as a guest the first year to see the facilities, the land, the numbers and kind of hunters, if it's a dog club or still hunting club or both, how they are about saftey and organization, and if they are family friendly. Trust me I've hunted in many clubs in Va and NC and most clubs are $500+ so make sure your getting your moneys worth, hell there are many out there in that area that have dues in the $800-$1000 range so try not to get sticker shock.

There is a ton more public land within a 2 hour drive+/- of Richmond. That will definitely be the cheapest route and there is some prime land to be found, I could tell you but then I'd have to use my Men In Black pen on you guys and I don't like doing that to people.

Last edited by NEW61375; 09-08-2011 at 04:17 PM.
Old 09-08-2011, 04:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Prince Edward-Gallion State Forest (6,461 acres)

Cumberland State Forest (16,222 acres)

Appomattox-Buckingham State Forest (19,808 acres)

More info, just click right on the number on the map for more info and a link to the specific state forest:

http://www.dof.virginia.gov/stforest...forest-map.htm

State Forests get hunted but many of them are huge it's easy to find a couple of sleeper spots on 19,000 acres and my only other suggestion is to hunt during the week any time you can. You won't see many people on a Tuesday morning hunt. And don't overlook the small ones either there is one I hunt that is less than 500 acres, bordered by crop fields and I have never seen another person hunting it.

There are a lot of WMA within a reasonable drive of Richmond, there is brand new one open this year named Mattaponi(near AP Hill) supposed to be some nice looking hilly land with lots of oaks and my personal favorite Featherfin(2800 acres). The best part about Featherfin is it is lotto hunt during firearms but during bow you can hunt it with just your license the whole archery season. Which means less pressure during gun because it's not wide open and in 3 seasons I have only seen one other bowhunter. Be ready to hike a little and they have a 4 point rule on bucks(at least one side must have 4 points).

Last edited by NEW61375; 09-10-2011 at 10:04 PM.
Old 09-11-2011, 05:44 AM
Spike

Alex and NEW, thanks for the leads. Some of those are a bit out of my range, I'm in northern VA, but not all of them are. The state parks list is an eye opener. I was really just focused on WMAs and National Forest before seeing that.

I did make it out to the second day of dove season at the Phelps WMA, and while there were a number of other hunters, I was able to set up in an area away from others, and with a few birds passing by. Couldn't bring any of them down, but it was still good to get out there and try.

Thanks for all the good info.

KVMAPR
Old 09-13-2011, 09:03 AM
Spike

Another recommendation for the State Forests.