green swamp wma in florida

Old 12-07-2008, 05:43 PM
Spike

Default RE: green swamp wma in florida

just have to scout and get away from other hunters
Old 12-07-2008, 05:45 PM
Fork Horn

I been huntin greenswamp for 6 years now, i have had the best luck sittin up inna tree stand on the edge of cypress swamps that are OFF the beaten paths, the deer and hogs both seem to seek refuge in the swamps, got to catch them on the way in or out...another big factor i beleive is timing(right place at the right time). I personally always am set up in my stand when its still dark in the mornins, but despite popular belief, you can see game in the middle of the afternoon when its warmest and windiest. Remember as chuck7 said look for signs whether they be scrapes or rublines, or hog rootens, if you find good signs, stay on em! but above all i think the biggest key is just being "different" from other hunters, dont go where you always see a bunch of trucks, because more than likely from the huntin pressure thehogs and deer (bucks especially) will get pushed back into the thickest of thick stuff (NO MANS LAND) and you'll never catch a glimpse of em. But the good thing for all of us is the rut is goin to start kickin in in the nextcouple weeks so the bucks WILL be on the move! Good Luck n remember be DIFFERENT!!!
Old 12-07-2008, 05:59 PM
Dominant Buck

dont go where you always see a bunch of trucks, because more than likely from the huntin pressure thehogs and deer (bucks especially) will get pushed back into the thickest of thick stuff (NO MANS LAND) and you'll never catch a glimpse of em. But the good thing for all of us is the rut is goin to start kickin in in the nextcouple weeks so the bucks WILL be on the move! Good Luck n remember be DIFFERENT!!!

Welcome partner..did I meet you at the gate last Sat.? I was talking to someone out there last Sat. about Hunting.net..just wondering..I'm usually one of the first out there to and usually am in my stand at 5:30..I got a nice little walk ..It seems like when 9:00 AM comes alot of hunters like ot shoot their guns off.[&o]Like you said ...most of the deer I've seen have been in the late morning or afternoon .
Old 12-07-2008, 06:23 PM
Fork Horn

hey how you doin? no, it wasn't me you was talkin to, in fact i was half asleep as i rolled through the gate...lol. yea my spot is about a three mile walk...your right about that, a couple weeks back some body was shootin an assault rifle out there, i heard 11 loud consecutive shots, not far from my stand, kinda scared me, some of those guys out there aint got no sense...yup, i might even start sleepin in a little....NAH!...lol...I live to hunt.
Old 12-07-2008, 09:14 PM
Spike

im going to be out there prolly wednesday thursday and friday. im headed to ocala for the weekend most likely. and i might be out there every day next week. im not sure yet.
Old 12-07-2008, 10:49 PM
Fork Horn

yea, personally i like to hunt durin the week too, ain very many people there. can't wait til after christmas, im goin to be in there from dec. 26th until Jan. 4th(the last day of the season), the rut will be in full affect!, Good luck in Ocala, ain been there in a long time, at the start of this season a friend of mine got a nice 7 point out of ocala weighed 167, main beams were around 14in. tall with and inside spread of 11 3/4 in. I've read about a lotta big deer in ocala, need to go sometime. I just can't shake myself from goin to greenswamp, there is so much of that place that is untouched, which means big bucks unseen, I would bet money that theres more than a few like the 25 point stovall buck in those woods. If you put into perspective that greenswamp is 50,659 acres and that in an average season there are around 150 bucks killed on average that would put 1 buck per every 337 acres the thing is of that 337 acres your probably only looking at about75-100 acres being "accessable" due to the fact that 2/3 of greenswamp is just that... SWAMP...which would put the actual "average" number in 337 acres between 4 and 5 bucks, which means statistically that hunters are probably only seeing 25% of bucks in those woods, which in turn puts a bucks survival rate at somewhere around 75%...and the fact that most of the deer killed are 3-4 years and younger!...thats what keeps me goin back...Hunting is more than just going in the woods , its becoming the woods! GOOD LUCK!!!
Old 12-08-2008, 01:39 AM
Dominant Buck

hey how you doin? no, it wasn't me you was talkin to, in fact i was half asleep as i rolled through the gate...lol. yea my spot is about a three mile walk...[:-]OH my!!!that is a long walk...I only walk that far during gobbler season..That is a good hike..I can think of three areas like that off of Rockridge and they all border ranches..BUT still that is one heck of a walk..My present honey hole is only a 30 minute walk..I only hunt it on Sat. as I don't want to mess it up..I'm off from Dec. 20th till Jan. 6th..then I will hunt every day but Sunday..{ God willing} then I will hunt 4 different spots that hold deer..and hope for the best..I've got a 2nd Bullet Backpacker Summit coming from Mississippi any day now..

your right about that, a couple weeks back some body was shootin an assault rifle out there, i heard 11 loud consecutive shots, not far from my stand, kinda scared me, some of those guys out there aint got no sense...yup, i might even start sleepin in a little....NAH!...lol...I live to hunt.

Those deer in the Green Swamp have super magnum senses..you need to be like a statue when they come through..

I'm still seeing lots of trucks lined up on Sat. I got there 20 minutes early last Sat..and there was a big line in front of me. I'm also seeing more game wardens this year...at the gate and on the main roads.
Old 12-08-2008, 01:33 PM
Fork Horn

yea but i usually get somethin from that spot, got 2 hogs outta there so far and have seen 2 bucks, 1 small 4 point, and a larger one couldnt see how many points though...wow 4 spots that hold deer...i ve only got 2 i kno that hold deer and a couple other hit n misses...o yea?, i got a summit xtreme classic, a little heavier but its a great climber!...Yea those deer are smart the little 4 point i seen was lookin right at me and i was about 25 ft. up...o yea people start linin up at like 3:30am sometimes...well i aint complainin about more wardens anything to make it safer and prevent people from poachin...
Old 12-08-2008, 04:14 PM
Dominant Buck

congrats on the hogs man!!! and seeing 2 deer. I'll share my report Jan. 5th..[8D]
Old 12-08-2008, 05:08 PM
Spike

i havent seen anything yet. you think if i sit on a rub longenough i will see a deer? it is about a mile backin the woods.

Quick Reply: green swamp wma in florida

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.