Dog hunting outlaws

Community
South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

Dog hunting outlaws

Old 12-15-2008, 07:19 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Dog hunting outlaws

ORIGINAL: deerdogdude

WOW! I HAVE NOT BEEN ON IN MONTHS AND WHEN I DO HERE WE GO AGAIN, CAN'T BELIEVE BIGBIRD HAS NOT BACKED YOU UP,...MAYBE HE HAS FINALLY COME TO HIS SENSES. SAME ONES (-B.B.) SAME OLD CRAP. GLAD HERE IN PRINCE GEORGE/ SUSSEX AREA WE SEEM NOT TO HAVE THESE PROBLEMS.-
HAPPY HUNTING EVERYONE
There's nothing to back up. It's not going to be solved on this forum and we each have chosen our sides. I don't think you'll get me to approve of dog chasing and I don't think I'll get you to see about the rights of property owners and those that don't want others or their hounds on their land.

BTW I don't see much on road killed hounds by neglectful hunters on here or SD. There were 2 within 5 miles of each other Sat. I heard the vehicle hit one while I was in the woods hunting. Driver did not stop to assist the dog. It was still alive when I came out and found it. I waited with the dog 15 minutes for a return call. The oh so caring owner was 15 min away home watching TV. He finally arrived ( not in hunting attire ) and took the dog home - not to the vet - where it later died. Another hound he owned was running with this one. Did he look for it after losing 1 that day? No. He waited until the next morning to find it. Both dogs had tracking collars. Dog was only 9 miles from their lands they were hunting on that day. Don't collars go an easy 5+ miles on flat ground? So why didn't they look for the hounds at the end of the days hunt? Wouldn't a hound that ran 9 miles be a good dog and worth retrieving ASAP?

"We treat them like one of the family" Right........ sure you do. And don't forget to add in about the occasional bad apple out there while you're making excuses for one of your fellow dog hunters. Already have about 5 that I know of or have seen dead on the roadside this year. I would guess more are road kill than shot by others. But again they keep that little part of dog chasing out of the picture.

HM this is part of the video pulled. It will come out at the right time.

Old 12-15-2008, 07:48 PM

Big Bird,
I know how you feel, and this time you are right. Most dog hunters care for thier dogs, this jackass didn't. I have heard that the game dept. is going to rethink the RTR very soon. There are several lawsuits brewing as we type. I just hope the decent dog clubs like mine, who care for thier dogs don't get burned in the process. No compromise hurts us all. Screw the hound hunters association. I wouldn't give those pompus asses a wooden nickle to speak for me.
Old 12-15-2008, 09:22 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: dogger69

Big Bird,
I know how you feel, and this time you are right. Most dog hunters care for thier dogs, this jackass didn't. I have heard that the game dept. is going to rethink the RTR very soon. There are several lawsuits brewing as we type. I just hope the decent dog clubs like mine, who care for thier dogs don't get burned in the process. No compromise hurts us all. Screw the hound hunters association. I wouldn't give those pompus asses a wooden nickle to speak for me.
You're going to hurt HM's feelings.

Old 12-15-2008, 09:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

I know a few bad dog hunters but honestly I know. Well, maybe not know all that well but have met and know a few of them a lot more still hunters that don't want to follow the laws. Infact I'm not sure that I've ever met a still hunter that wants to follow the laws. Almost all of them I've ever met at least want to bait the deer. To me It just ticks me off when still hunters complain all the time about dog hunters yet they then proceed to go break laws themselves. They leave that part out when complaining about the dog hunters. Now this isn't always the case and I'm sure there are a lot of still hunters that obey all the laws or at least try to but their are a lot more that don't. At least around here.

Another thing with the dogs is people that don't like dog hunters seem to try to "report" them for stuff that isn't actually illegal then they get mad when nothing is done about it. Like one guy that has hassled some of the guys I hunt with. He owns a house and a field with animals. He only has about 200 feet of road frontage. Just enough for his driveway. Well, infront of his fields on both sides someone else owns. So basically anytime they come near his house he wants to call and report them when in actuality they are not on his land. Even when they go across the road he seems to have a problem with it. It's not his land and not really anything he can do about it. Since the guys own it they an hunt on it if they want. Yet this guy complains about how they sit out infront of his house hunting. I bet he doesn't tell you how he doesn't own the land they are on and that they do.

I've also seen quite a few still hunters trespassing on others land.

Another thing about the wounding deer. I've seen some get wounded and it's not a good thing. However, I've also heard of and seen quite a few that got injured during still hunting and especially bow hunting. As for the guy saying shooting them in the butt. I have something to say there. If I shoot a deer in the butt with my rifle more than likely the bullet is going to the front and is going to at least do enough damage it's going to drop him right there. Howver, if you do that with a bow he will probably go either suffer and die or live with an arrow stuck in him.

Most of the wounded deer I've seen get away have been shot with a shotgun. Quite a few still hunters use these too.

As for shooting turkeys with the shotgun with buckshot what's the problem? If turkey season is in why can't they shoot a turkey? Sure buckshot may not be the ideal load but it does work fine in most cases. I don't see the problem there as they aren't doing anything wrong to my knowledge.

After having said this I like still hunting as well as people whom hunt with dogs. I know some bad apples in both but that doesn't mean they are all bad. I think people need to just join together and try to make up for the bad apples and make non hunters realize how all hunters are not bad.
Old 12-15-2008, 11:11 PM

You know hometheaterman you sure seem to have a lot to say about still hunters and baiting deer. In this thread and another I read yesterday. I know many still hunters since our county does not allow dog hunting and none of us bait or have ever baited deer. Now there are pleanty of illegal dog hunter around here for sure. One them almost shot my son and I one day as we were heading to our un-baited stands. He dropped a doe 10 yards from my feet as it ran up behind me and I was wearing an orange vest. My son and I had just walked in the woods off the road when he pulled up jumped from his to get the shot at the doe running across the road. Henever seen us buthe did after I started cussing him out. But from the sounds of your comments you don’t like dog hunting either so what would you like forus to hunt them with. Let me guess your one of those truck hunters we see riding around the edge of the fields just before and after dark. Or maybe we could close the gun season and have spear chucking season over bare clay fields!!!!!
Old 12-16-2008, 03:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

After reading all the replys I can see how heated this has gotten. I don't hunt with dogs for deer or anything wild animals, we used to be able to in washington state for bear and cougar and then the animal rights groups got it put on the state wide ballot and we lost the right to hunt with dogs and bait for both. After this the populations exploded and the state was getting tons of livestock claims for dead sheep and cows.

As far as hunting with dogs for deer, never done it but don't have a problem with it if the hunters in question would follow the rules. Like was posted above you always get some bad apples in every bunch who give the whole bunch a bad name. I have seen a local hutn club run their dogs through a WMA and push the deer onto the property the club leased and the "shooters" were sitting at the tree line with coolers and lawn chairs shooting at anything that came running towards them, with out regards to what was beyond the deer, which was in my direction, I had my daughter with me and we had to sit tight behind a slash pile until they were done shooting because slugs were flying at us.
Old 12-16-2008, 05:09 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Blueheeler101

You know hometheaterman you sure seem to have a lot to say about still hunters and baiting deer. In this thread and another I read yesterday. I know many still hunters since our county does not allow dog hunting and none of us bait or have ever baited deer. Now there are pleanty of illegal dog hunter around here for sure. One them almost shot my son and I one day as we were heading to our un-baited stands. He dropped a doe 10 yards from my feet as it ran up behind me and I was wearing an orange vest. My son and I had just walked in the woods off the road when he pulled up jumped from his to get the shot at the doe running across the road. Henever seen us buthe did after I started cussing him out. But from the sounds of your comments you don’t like dog hunting either so what would you like forus to hunt them with. Let me guess your one of those truck hunters we see riding around the edge of the fields just before and after dark. Or maybe we could close the gun season and have spear chucking season over bare clay fields!!!!!
KINDA REMINDS ME OF SOMEONE ELSE ON THIS SITE WHO CLAIMS THAT SORT OF CRAP ABOUT DOG HUNTERS LOL. PLAIN AND SIMPLE FACT IS THERE ARE BAD APPLES ON BOTH SIDES AND BOTH SIDES TRY TO MAKE THE OTHER LOOK WORSE...ONE THING WE ALL NEED TO REMEMBER IS THAT WE ARE ALL HUNTERS! DOG HUNTING IS NOT GOING ANYWHERE AND HUNTING PERIOD IS NOT GOING ANYWHERE SO SHUT UP AND HUNT! THIS IS TIME YOU CAN BE PLANING YOUR NEXT HUNT. MY WIFE LAUGHS AT US ALL.SAYS WE SOUND LIKE 5 YEAR OLD KIDS.......I AGREE
Old 12-16-2008, 05:50 AM
Fork Horn

Funny on the baiting. I've been in a lot of clubs and hunted with a lot of people over the years and I've never seen anyone bait deer - ever. Must be a localized thing.
Old 12-16-2008, 04:52 PM

If a Oak grove or a pine thicketis considered Bait then im guilty as charged.Otherwise i have never hunted over bait.I will say this,my (still hunting)on my private property will never hender or ruin the hunting of the guy down the street who is dog hunting,,but he sure has ruined my hunting on many occasions.Ruined meaning he ran every deer off the property for a week and he does it every week for a month.this is in a county that dosen't allow dog hunting.He just laughs and says if the game warden catches us we just say were gettin our dogs up from coon hunting the night before,and go the next county over where dog hunting is legal for a few weeks.
If he dosen't have enough property to drop his dogs and pick them without them running all over ajoining property then he should refrain from dog hunting that property.
Old 12-16-2008, 05:15 PM

You'll need to take Hokieman's advice and do something about it. You see, the dog hunters feel they are safe trespassing and abusing your civil rights. It will be up to you to seek an attorney to sue the state, or the VDGIF more directly. Until lawsuits and court orders are used, the state will continue to allow the trespass and trampling of personal rights onprivate property. If you join the fight now, you may be able to gain monetary rewards from the state. There is no doubt in my mind they know this as well. The dog focus study was never intended to "change" anything. It was only a tool they could use to defray fault and blame, thus hoping to lower their financial obligations to those who have been deprived of property and personal rights without compensation.

Quick Reply: Dog hunting outlaws

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.